Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake bolt stripped head

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Intake bolt stripped head

I re-installed my intake today, and one of the bolts just would not get tight. Backed it out and it had aluminum threaded around the bolt... obviously stripping the head.

My question is, can i use a heli-coil? I ask because normally you heli into a hole that has a bottom... the intake holes do not. So if the bolt goes too far into the head (past the heli coil depth) then wont the helicoil go through? Because it has the little deal on the back that keeps it at the end of the bolt.

Best way i can explain it... bolt------[head]-(heli)

Or does the intake bolt only go in far enough to become flush with the inside of the head? If thats the case, there should be no reason for the heli not to work. Just would be scary removing the bolt... if the heli didnt come out with the bolt it could fall in.

And can i do it with the head on? (its the first hole on the pass side)

Has anyone done this? Any opinions... help?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had (2) of my bolts strip on me and I just upgraded the size. Take your bolt to the hardware store, get the next size up and get a drill and tap for it also. You need to take the intake back off but not the head and I had my friend hold a vacuum cleaner next to my drill bit when I was drilling to catch all the shavings. Make sure you clean the hole really good before installing the bolt. If you have never tapped a hole before, get someone to show you because it has to be dead straight or else you wont get that bolt to work through the intake. That is the best way I could think of and mine has had no problems for over 2 years. Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another solution of heli-coils would be this...
http://www.ezlok.com/index2.htm

i used these for some heads one time and they held up great with dual springs. these you just drill, tapp, and then screw this in place.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you said a few worty dirds. I would have.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heli coil it, it will work, done lots of them
Old 05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awsome... that makes me feel a little better.

I dont think i could drill it with the head on the car tho. The hole drops right into the liftervalley... i just wouldnt take the chance.

I guess ill put the american size bolt in for now... and then heli it when i have time to get the head off in the next month or so.

Originally Posted by jdb8805
I bet you said a few worty dirds. I would have.
You bet... im supposed to be going to LA invasion, so ive put probably 60 hours into the car since last weekend... finally got it to were everything was good... and the LAST BOLT stripped. And not even from over torqueing, atleast then i could be mad at myself. lol... Now its just plain ol bad luck.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
another solution of heli-coils would be this...
http://www.ezlok.com/index2.htm

i used these for some heads one time and they held up great with dual springs. these you just drill, tapp, and then screw this in place.
I dont see them in the size i need tho... M6 1.0, atleast not in the automotive area. Ill look some more.

Quick Reply: Intake bolt stripped head