Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation III External Engine
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Generation III External Engine
LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default why does my car sound like a diesel??

is this because of the headers... and is it normal??
it's alot wose on a cold start but eventually gets a little better... but never really goes away. can somebody fill me in on this please

MTI lid, hooker lt's, tsp ORY, hooker catback, DMH e-cutout, TR55's, MSD wires, C6 wheels
brandon_01_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7
Send a message via AIM to razorclaw99

are you talking about it sounding like a diesel when in 6th gear?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
ЯєŧąяĐ Єlímíиąŧ°я Ö
2001 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Trader Rating: 18
Send a message via AIM to orangeapeel Send a message via MSN to orangeapeel Send a message via Yahoo to orangeapeel

It is probably severe piston slap. Either that or you have a rod knocking. your gasoline car should never sound like a diesel.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

No, not just in 6th gear... it sounds like that in nuetral and all gears... and the sound is only under throttle, it doesnt make the sound at idle... and its worse at lower rpm's
i'll try to post a sound clip soon

MTI lid, hooker lt's, tsp ORY, hooker catback, DMH e-cutout, TR55's, MSD wires, C6 wheels
Old 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7

piston slap and valvetrain noise....it was probably there before, but the headers amplify it. Either that or you have a leak between the head and header.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 87

i have heard cavaliers sound like that before....

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

maybe ur shop installed a turbo along with ur headers?? feel like ur making extra power?? haha
Blknight6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

your talking about piston slap man. it sounds like a clapping or a slapping right? At first its really loud and you can notice it easily, but once it warms up its almost completely gone? thats GM's piston slap for ya, its not harming in anyway really, just something 90% of us have to live with. It seems like for me, once it warms up, its not that its completley gone, but its just really quiet, but if i revv it up in neutral , as the rpms come back down, i can hear it slightly still. anyone else get that???

Dave
FamousWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousWS6 View Post
your talking about piston slap man. it sounds like a clapping or a slapping right? At first its really loud and you can notice it easily, but once it warms up its almost completely gone? thats GM's piston slap for ya, its not harming in anyway really, just something 90% of us have to live with. It seems like for me, once it warms up, its not that its completley gone, but its just really quiet, but if i revv it up in neutral , as the rpms come back down, i can hear it slightly still. anyone else get that???

Dave

that about sums my noise up. i bought my bird w/ 21 k on it and it has made the same noise since. like you said its noisy at start up and then kinda goes away. crawling around though i can hear it. when im putzing around the storage place where i keep the car i can year it echo. seems worse after the recent header install. but like already stated 90% of us have it. GO TILL IT BLOWS!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousWS6 View Post

Dave
i know the clapping or slapping sound you're talking about, and yea i have that too.... yep it is alot worse when the engine is cold and does get better once it warms us... def doesn't completley go away but its not near as bad..... but the noise i'm talking about "the diesel sound" is not a clapping sound at all... it's def more like an exhaust sound, and it never goes away! and it sounds like its coming from the headers.. near the block!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #11
ЯєŧąяĐ Єlímíиąŧ°я Ö
2001 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Send a message via AIM to orangeapeel Send a message via MSN to orangeapeel Send a message via Yahoo to orangeapeel

What are your headgaskets and header gaskets? Stock? Pretty sure you just have a worse case of ps though.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapeel View Post
What are your headgaskets and header gaskets? Stock? Pretty sure you just have a worse case of ps though.
i really don't know if they are stock or not.... i'm going to have a new custom Y pipe put on next week, i guess i'll just have the mechanic take a look at the gaskets and stuff for me..... i mean it may just be the piston slap but like i said the diesel sound i'm talking about sounds like an exhaust problem, i'm pretty sure of it... could be wrong tho!?

Old 06-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
ЯєŧąяĐ Єlímíиąŧ°я Ö
2001 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
Tech Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to ChocoTaco369

If it makes you feel better, my car sounds like a tractor at idle after a cold start. LS1's aren't the best sounding engines out there...damn y-pipe's...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=56490&dateline=122564  4822

ChocoTaco369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
35, acura, car, care, diesel, echoing, exhaust, ls1, makes, noise, piston, sound, sounds, start, warms, worse