Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyclone anti reversionary headers Does anyone remember them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cyclone anti reversionary headers Does anyone remember them?

In the 70's I bought a set of Cyclone anti-reversionary headers for a 64 SS Malabu. The engine was a 350 chev. At the header flange there was a cone that started at 1 3/4" and tapered too a little over 1 1/2". I replaced a set of Hooker 1 3/4" headers and felt a substantial difference in torque. Does anyone remember this idea and is anyone working with it now?

Bob
Old 08-13-2003, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Cyclone anti reversionary headers Does anyone remember them?

wow they are old i don't know of anybody using that idea anymore because of the changes in camshaft design higher lift roller cams and better designed headers

Jay
Old 08-14-2003, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a similar idea on JBA shorties for LS1's
Old 08-14-2003, 03:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't that what QTP is doing with their optional collector or are you talking about at the flange near the head?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah he was talking about head flanges, QTP has a similar idea but at the collectors like JBA shorties. The inside cone basicaly prevents gases from re-entering the collector after being expulsed.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anti-reversion is still working, but not in such a complex manner as those AR headers.You must be almost as old as I am...

Any header that has a opening larger than the exhaust port in the head will cause some AR, especially if the "mismatch" is at the bottom or short side of the port. Round headers on D-shaped exhausts are a good example. Port-matching headers is probably not a very good idea, except perhaps for a very specific combination.

AR also works on intakes.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

I'm 48 and have been playing at the drag strip since I was old enough to drive. All my toys have been old school up to 18 mo. ago. I have learned a lot about computerized racing but have a long way to go. Anyway back to AR, it seems it is still a viable option. The reason I'm looking at this is my car is week on the bottom. This is one of the ways I remember to improve torque curve to it's max. Crane and Rhodes used to make variable rate hyd lifters, can that tech be transferred to hyd roller lifters? What ever happened to Edelbrocks Port runner air dams? All things to think about..

Bob
Old 08-14-2003, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1/6 is a total different beast than SBC. A lot of the old tricks could still work but either the gain is minimal or no market for it.
I'm 40 and I had to reajust myself. Everything is run or monitored by PCM. Hell a laptop became necessary for tuning. It's more user friendly I guess but requires re-education on our part (OLD TIMERS).
However i have to admit that the power that can be harnessed from the LS1/6 has no equal.
Here is one for the good OL' Days
Old 08-14-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 48 and have been playing at the drag strip since I was old enough to drive. All my toys have been old school up to 18 mo. ago. I have learned a lot about computerized racing but have a long way to go. Anyway back to AR, it seems it is still a viable option. The reason I'm looking at this is my car is week on the bottom. This is one of the ways I remember to improve torque curve to it's max. Crane and Rhodes used to make variable rate hyd lifters, can that tech be transferred to hyd roller lifters? What ever happened to Edelbrocks Port runner air dams? All things to think about..

Bob

Got you by a dozen years, Bob. 12.96 @107 ain't too shabby. My son's '00SS M6 gets 110 and 12.90 on DR's. My A4 Vette only pulls 13.6 @103 (but looks cool doing it )

I don't think AR headers are going to help you much. Get some more air flowing into it. Possible ported TB, and maybe some mild head and cam work. Today's production and aftermarket cams, if correctly chosen don't need the "crutch" of Rhoads lifters which tried to kill a little lift and effective duration at low engine speeds, especially at idle.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QTP headers have a merge collector which is designed to increase scavenging pull from the headers. Not the same concept as the A/R headers concept.

As another member of the over 40 crowd, I looked for that too when I first was looking for headers.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

As another member of the over 40 crowd, I looked for that too when I first was looking for headers.

Me too, except I'm 60. Pretty neat to find there are other old schoolers here.

Quick Reply: Cyclone anti reversionary headers Does anyone remember them?