Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Temperature Gauge Help, Port above starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water Temperature Gauge Help, Port above starter

Today I decided that I would install my VDO temperature sender units in my transmission (1/8 x 27NPT) and engine block above starter (M16 x 1.5). I installed the sender in the transmission with no problem. Then I removed the starter and found the engine block port.
I thought to myself, that plug looks pretty big (bigger than my sender and it measures 16mm) but I said what the hell, everyone says it should be 16mm so I'll take it out. My plan was to remove the plug with an 8mm hex socket and hurry and replace it with the sender before I lost too much coolant. I removed the plug, coolant starter pouring out, hurried and began to thread the sender unit, BUT WHAT THE HELL, it wouldn't thread. The port is just way to big. I kept trying and trying with no luck, my shirt covered in coolant. I replaced the original plug, got out a caliper and re-measured my sender...16mm. Then I tried to get my caliper up on the port and was about to read about 18-20mm (hard to get an accurate measurement).
So I ask now, why is the port on my car bigger than what everyone else says. My car is an 02 Z28 and was built in the last 1-2 weeks of production. I might have an LS6 block with a different size port, thats the only thing I can think of. Please let me know if anyone else has run into this problem or knows the size of the port. I guess I'll just have to install one on another day since I need my car back. I guess 1 out of 2 ain't bad. I only installed one gauge anyways on a convertible switch plate and a switch to switch between the two senders. I really didnt want more than one gauge but i guess I can at least get one reading for now.

Another thing I just thought of is that I really couldn't see while I was trying to thread the sender and there wasn't really a lot of clearance around the port, so maybe the hex head on the sender was hitting the block not allowing it to thread in. But when I look at the plug in comparison to the sender, it just looks bigger, so I don't know.

http://egauges.com/vdo_indS.asp?Send...20C&PN=323-417

Last edited by vjo90rs8; 06-14-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i went to home depot and got a brass t block. i put barb ends on each end (1/4) then put a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter on the T part and threaded my sender in there. the barb ends splice into the throttle body coolant lines that go from the top of the radiator to the throttle body. my car has the bypass so my line goes to the front of the motor to the right of the throttle body. i spliced in there then had the temp checked with HP tuners and it was pretty close. only a few degrees higher.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
i went to home depot and got a brass t block. i put barb ends on each end (1/4) then put a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter on the T part and threaded my sender in there. the barb ends splice into the throttle body coolant lines that go from the top of the radiator to the throttle body. my car has the bypass so my line goes to the front of the motor to the right of the throttle body. i spliced in there then had the temp checked with HP tuners and it was pretty close. only a few degrees higher.
got any pictures? I'm confused
Old 06-15-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe I will try something like that. Looks like I'll be going to home depot tomorrow but now I need to buy another sender. I thought it was going to be a lot easier since I did a lot of research.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as I knew, the sender is supposed to be installed in the rear of the passenger side head...
Old 06-15-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
got any pictures? I'm confused
Im sure the T-bar has 3 male NPT fittings, then on opposite ends he used 1/4" NPT to barb (to splice into the radiator hose). Then a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on the top for the sender
1/4 to 1/8 Adapter
(1/4" male NPT)
Hose---Barb/1/4" female NPT---(1/4" male NPT---1/4" male NPT)---female NPT/Barb---Hose
Old 06-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Launching!

the plug in the head should be M12x1.5
Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
Im sure the T-bar has 3 male NPT fittings, then on opposite ends he used 1/4" NPT to barb (to splice into the radiator hose). Then a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on the top for the sender
1/4 to 1/8 Adapter
(1/4" male NPT)
Hose---Barb/1/4" female NPT---(1/4" male NPT---1/4" male NPT)---female NPT/Barb---Hose
pefect...thats what i did.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Default Update

Ok, looks like the port is 16mm. I was looking at the head of the plug and assuming that the port was about the same size. BUT....the sender still won't fit. The piece of the sender that extends into the block and measures the temperature is too long. If you look inside the port you will notice that it isn't cylindrical, it snakes from the rear of the car to the front of the car, so the block is keeping the threads from threading. I guess the only way around it would be to get a 1/8 x 27 NPT sender and an adapter or go the home depot route and install it in a radiator hose.

So, when installing a sender in the engine block, DO NOT USE THE VDO M16 x 1.5 sender unit, it will not fit, use a 1/8" sender and adapter.

Quick Reply: Water Temperature Gauge Help, Port above starter