Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro's w/ Hooker Catbacks..........

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Camaro's w/ Hooker Catbacks..........

Could you post pics or your cars with the catback. I'm trying to decide between the Magnaflow or the Hooker catback systems. So far, I like the looks of the magnaflow and the sound of the hooker. So ya, not sure which way I'm gonna go. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant go wrong with either. Ive had both on several of my fbodies and they are both great systems for the money. Both have great mellow tones around town and scream when let wide open. Both have minimal rasp too, which is hard to achieve with a y-pipe/catback setup. Go to LS1sounds.com. My buddy built that website and they have some good pics of exhaust systems/tips on both camaros and birds, as well as many different sound clips. Good luck buddy
Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the Magnaflow. My Hooker has something loose inside and rattles. Drives me insane.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

magnaflow and hooker are 2 very good flowing catbacks. i like the hooker because to me it seems like it has a deeper rumble compared to magnaflow and has better looking tips.

i went with magnaflow because of its stainless steel and it has a nice crisp sound.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Keep in mind Hooker is a very quiet exhaust. I have a big cam running through the Hooker and at idle its very quiet...now for the dual cutouts.. lol.

Ive heard Magnaflow with LT's and i freaking love it.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

my hooker w/ LTs is obnoxious i love it! ive gotten nothing but compliments, sounds very evil above 3k rpm, but as stated above i have something loose inside my exhaust that rattles, ive checked every damn bolt and still nothing
Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love my hooker catback. If you're worried about it being too quiet, throw a cut-out on there to have the best of both worlds. Here's a video of mine opening/closing cut-out:

http://ledvault.armorysound.com/Brian/idle.mpg
Old 07-23-2008, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a Hooker catback paired with a ECO and I love it. I can be quite when needed, or loud when I want to be
Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

im kinda wondering about this as well... i USED to run a 3" TSP catted y pipe to a hooker cat back when i was bolt on, cam only and what not.. im now running TSP true duals but i need to swap out due to my th400...

Im going to run an ORY, ill probably run a cut out in the I pipe just for ***** n giggles.. but will the hooker be good up to 700 rwhp? ill probably put down close to 600 with juice.. (for now)
Old 07-23-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

to answer your question: i loved my hooker cat back, with LTs and a 3" catted y it was very tame until u stepped on it
Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
im kinda wondering about this as well... i USED to run a 3" TSP catted y pipe to a hooker cat back when i was bolt on, cam only and what not.. im now running TSP true duals but i need to swap out due to my th400...

Im going to run an ORY, ill probably run a cut out in the I pipe just for ***** n giggles.. but will the hooker be good up to 700 rwhp? ill probably put down close to 600 with juice.. (for now)
I think it will be more about your piping than he actual muffler. You may be better off with a true dual setup with that much power. Or you could go with a cut out.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah i have true duals right now, but seriously there are ZIPPO exhaust shops out here that ill leave my car with.. theres little to none performance car shops out here, especially LSX shops. the easiest route i can go is a ORY + cut out, and cat back
Old 07-24-2008, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _JB_
Go with the Magnaflow. My Hooker has something loose inside and rattles. Drives me insane.
I think i have the exact same issue man.

I thought it was something loose in the rear hatch or antenna..nothing. It does it with the hatch open.

All bolts are tight, nothing is loose and hitting anything, exhaust has good clearance with everything.

Rattle is a phantom noise, just shows up after ive been revving or driving fast and highway speeds..sounds like a pencil being pushed between two metal parts..

god wish i had a camera so i could record the sound and post it.

Its driving me nuts as well, i might get a new muffler. But i dont understand, if something is loose in the muffler, wouldnt it rattle constantly?

I noticed going with a rubber tranny mount, made it alot worse.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

you should rock the stock tranny mount..
but you can get a new hooker muffler for like a $100 cant you..?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember back when I had mine it rattled on cold start ups. After it warmed up it seem to go away. It may have still did it when warm but not nearly as bad.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
you should rock the stock tranny mount..
but you can get a new hooker muffler for like a $100 cant you..?
really wish i could, i had issues with my old ypipe..it was horrible design and install and banging the floorboard..so i changed to prothane motor mounts and already had prothane tranny mount on the car, had a 800 dollar ypipe built and everything was nice until i changed back to a rubber tranny mount..******* exhaust started banging again..put the prothane tranny mount back in to fix it, didnt work.

seriously i have no idea why this happened. i mean is it too much to ask for to have a custom exhaust with rubber tranny mount that does not destroy my floorboard or y pipe?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i use oem trans mount, with the hooker y pipe, no banging what so ever, just a damn rattle in muffler, Hooker LTs, y, and exhaust
Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

lol that is not fair..prothane tranny mount driving me nuts now..its not bad at times, other times i want to bodily harm to myself.

it is worst when standing still actually, i can cope with it while driving, but **** gets old quick.
what is really awesome is that i have to wait another week until the shop can take a look at it, and they'll probably ghetto rig my **** with a bump stop
i dont understand how a switch from prothane to rubber tranny mount can **** everything up with a custom exhaust and prothane motor mounts sorry for the rant and
Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
i use oem trans mount, with the hooker y pipe, no banging what so ever, just a damn rattle in muffler, Hooker LTs, y, and exhaust
Yeah same here. Some days it rattles worse than other. I can tap the exhaust tips with my foot and hear the noise.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Launching!

my Hooker cat back seems to rattle at the hanger in the rear passenger side.
it's like the I pipe is a little long. Going to try to bend the hanger a little when I get time.
If that doesn't work I'll have to trim I pipe a little.

Love the sound tho.

Brad