Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it take to fab braided lines?

Old 08-25-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What does it take to fab braided lines?

...like Earl's, etc.? I see in the Earls catalog, alot of tools like a crimper and dies, pressure test fittings etc. How much $ would you have to spend on the tools necessary to fab up a line? Alot? I'm interested in fabbing some braided lines for my trans. cooler and disposing of the rubber ones but I have no experience with this stuff, maybe it's cheaper to have them made?
Old 08-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: What does it take to fab braided lines?

No special tools really. For braided lines, I tape where I want to cut with duct tape, then use a Dremel tool to make the cut. The real key is to keep the braids from fraying while, and after cutting. The hose actually has to slide inside the fitting, so if it is frayed, forget about it.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:35 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just use some electrical tape to wrap the line. I cut mine with a hack saw / porta-band. It doesn't fray nearly as bad as a dremel can get it. Then just push the nut side of the fitting onto the hose and thread in the other end. A couple wrenches should be all you need at a minimum. If you want to make it really easy, buy the vise jaws. That's pretty much it.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will hate making braided lines the first time you do them. Like the 2 previous posts use some kind of tape and make a clean cut, I use a big *** pair of cable cutters. It effortlessly snips the braided line.

Watch for the metal frays (sp) when you slide the hose end on the braided line, I don't know how many times a little piece of metal has stabbed my finger.

The next fun part is putting the AN Coupler onto the hose end, I usually use some good old spit to lube it up. But they sell hose end lube at the speed shops. It can be a bitch sometimes to press the coupler into the hose and try to get the hose end to thread. Once it threads your home free with 2 wrenches, just tighten them down together, the coupler will actually cut into the inner rubber hose and make a nice seal.

Its really easy once you get the coordination down.

Good luck man.
Lee
Old 08-25-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does anyone know about braided hoses for say the radiator and water pump? Not so much the making of the hoses, how about how you're supposed to attach them at the other ends?
Old 08-25-2003, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well this is good news! Thanks. I thought you needed these tools. I might buy the pressure test fittings anyway if they aren't crazy expensive.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind the Earls brand are a different degree flare and are not interchangeable with Aeroquip and stock flare.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who makes what I need to screw on to the stock tranny line?

Search this Thread