Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 exhaust sound

As mentioned in an earlier post, I put my SLP 2OTL on over the weekend. It is enough louder than the stock Z muffer that I can hear it clearly. What really surprised me was that it sounds like I have 180* headers on the car. I think this is because of the Y pipe bringing all 8 cylinders through one muffler. There is none of the good old V8 burble - it sounds like an 6 cylinder

I read that the X and to a lesser extent, the H pipes change the nature of the exhaust note. I suspect they do the same thing, mixing the exhaust pulses and making the V8 sound more like a 6.

This is a shame. When I grew up, a 6 was a granny car. Real men drove V8s, and I learned to love the sound. If I put duals on my Z, I'm think it would sound like I remember a V8 sounding, but I'd be leaving HP on the table. What to do ...
Mabye I'll just put quiet muffers on so it doesn't sound like a 6.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: LS1 exhaust sound

What do you mean "leave hp on the table"? You would gain hp. You might sacrafice a little low end tq but you would more than make it up on the big end. Duals are the way to go an a LS1.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard a lot of dual setups (with X) and NONE of them sounded like a 6-banger.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

What do you mean "leave hp on the table"?
Running duals without the X or H would leave hp on the table.
You would gain hp. You might sacrafice a little low end tq but you would more than make it up on the big end.
You mean even without the X or H
Duals are the way to go an a LS1.
No argument on that. I will probably fab something up when I put the headers on. I'll want quiet, high flow mufflers though and I have no clue what to use.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

I've heard a lot of dual setups (with X) and NONE of them sounded like a 6-banger.
That is good to hear. The X must not affect the V8 sound as much as the Y pipe does. I will switch to duals when I put the headers on.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine sounds mean.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the one big fault in the LS1 with me. Whether it is the wimpy sounding idle or high-pitchness of the upper half of the rpm range, I've never really been happy with the sound of this motor. Tried four different cat-backs on my last LS1 before finally accepting that this is just the way they sound. For a "single" exhaust set-up, the GMMG or Mufflex have the best "V8" tone on this motor IMO. True duals are a little better with the X/H, but neither still sound as good to me as an LT1 with a simple cat-back change(like SLP 2OTL, Flowmaster, or GMMG).

The Y hurts the sound of our cars, but it has more to do with each motor being different(firing pattern, cylinder head design, CR, etc.) IMO. That is the same reason LS1's don't sound nearly as good as other SBC's or even Mustangs...

Mike
Old 08-26-2003, 06:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you check back in a couple of days I will post a good sounding audio clip of

Stock
SLP Loudmouth
Hooker Lt's thru Lanes Wheels True Duals With x-pipe and Dynomax Bullets.

Out of town right now...gotta get back home to do the clips...

I should be returning back on Monday afternoon.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Mine doesn't sound wimpy at idle or at high revs, and you don't have to put true duals on it to make it sound good.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Mine doesn't sound wimpy at idle or at high revs, and you don't have to put true duals on it to make it sound good.
Er, I didn't say it sounded wimpy - I said it sounds like a 6 or straight 8.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

The Y hurts the sound of our cars, but it has more to do with each motor being different(firing pattern, cylinder head design, CR, etc.) IMO. That is the same reason LS1's don't sound nearly as good as other SBC's or even Mustangs...

Ahh ... the firing order is different. That might be it! I will have to look at that.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

critter hit it on the head...the firing order is different on the LS1 than on the LT1 or the SBC/BBC motors. No matter what you put on the exhaust side of the LS1 you will never get the classic V8 rumble.

I run true duals with longtubes and a cam...it still doesn't sound like an old V8. It does lope at idle and absolutely screams at WOT though.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive got a mac orp with slp 2 on the left its the best exhaust ive heard on my car yet Ive had alot of setups, almost no rasp and sounds really clean,It flows good too it really woke my car up in the lower rpm range,but i did loose a little top end,and sometimes i wish it was as loud as my car straight piped with no cats lol(its kinda quite now).I think i should invest in a cutout after the long tubes go on.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Launching!

You have obviously have not heard the exhaust's on the powerhouse LS1's running out there to say that. A straight 8??? WTF?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

You have obviously have not heard the exhaust's on the powerhouse LS1's running out there to say that. A straight 8??? WTF?
Nope, I haven't. What I have heard is my new 2OTL, and that is what the sound remind me of. There is none of the old V8 uneveness to the sound. Q for you - have you ever heard a hot six with headers? Do you know what I am talking about?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

almost no rasp and sounds really clean,
Pardon my ignorance, but I walked away from racing and fast cars/bikes 30 years ago. What is 'rasp'? Is that the resonance you get from acoustinc tuning when you have a long exhaust path? Headers don't do it, but burned out glass packs will. Or the 12 foot piece of water pipe my dad used to replace the exhaust system on our dump truck. That baby resonated right off idle. Made it hard for a 14 year old to haul a load of grain into town without drawing attention
Old 08-28-2003, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

critter hit it on the head...the firing order is different on the LS1 than on the LT1 or the SBC/BBC motors. No matter what you put on the exhaust side of the LS1 you will never get the classic V8 rumble.
Oh yeah! The SBC and BBC (and most other V8s) would have firing intervals (in degrees) on the left bank of:
270 - 180 - 90 - 180 - 270 - 180 - 90 - 180 - 270 - etc
This produces a distinct sound that we (or we old folks) associate with V8s. For lack of a better term, it is sort of a syncopated sound. However. the LS1 is:
270 - 90 - 180 - 180 - 270 - 90 - 180 - 180 - 270 - etc
This is a totally different sounding pattern. I think it is obvious why it sounds to me like a straight 8 rather than a bent 8. And, the Y pipe may blur the small uneveness that does exist.
I run true duals with longtubes and a cam...it still doesn't sound like an old V8. It does lope at idle and absolutely screams at WOT though.
I dunno. I may try duals later anyway, if I can find quiet, high flow mufflers.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:00 AM
Banned

True, my Magnaflow catback on an otherwise stock TA sounds as good as I've heard. Check it out:

Revving and Idle (7.4 mb)

Taking a left and downshifting to 1st foot on the floor (4.9 mb)

From a stop, let off a bit too much at hook point (1.9 mb)

Second False Start (2.0 mb)

First False Start (2.2 mb)
Old 09-01-2003, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuning the exhaust note on these cars is getting to an expensive and time consuming "art". Too bad we don't have tool or some science to work with so you could input your mods and get back a design for the results you want.

Quick Reply: LS1 exhaust sound