Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does an 02 TA have for cat back?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What does an 02 TA have for cat back?

Doesn't really matter since I am going to run 4" pipe back to it and give it a whirl but is the muffler very good? What size is the piping? It doesn't drone, has good enough sound and should sound pretty good with the larger piping up front coming off the headers. And I didn't pay alot for a muffler to boot

But just curious how it is going to do for me. Not looking for ultimate power since I like to cruise mine all over and often.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4" piping necked down into the 2.75" inlet into your stock muffler? That makes no sense. Get a 4" cutout at least if you're gonna do that.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

most any aftermarket muffler will outflow the stock one hands down. if you are modding your car it pretty much has to go unless you want to run a cut out as above mentioned.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigti99a
most any aftermarket muffler will outflow the stock one hands down. if you are modding your car it pretty much has to go unless you want to run a cut out as above mentioned.
not true IMO. from what I have read and heard the slp dual/dual is one of the best flowing catbacks for our ls1's. which many cars came with IIRC.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeG
4" piping necked down into the 2.75" inlet into your stock muffler? That makes no sense. Get a 4" cutout at least if you're gonna do that.
In my case yes it does. I wish I could find the article but as the exhaust makes its way to the outlet huge pipe isn't needed. I may install the cutout but in my case I am not looking for max power. It's my cruiser! Just looking for a little snap. Rather than having to cut out the exhaust and trash it I am going to use what is there. It doesn't drone or anything and isn't loud which makes it nice for trips. With a cutout 4" pipe should be good to 600 HP correct?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I may install the cutout but in my case I am not looking for max power. It's my cruiser! Just looking for a little snap. Rather than having to cut out the exhaust and trash it I am going to use what is there.
You're tough to follow man. You say you're not looking for max power, but want to run a 4" exhaust to support 600 HP. IMO the car will feel better and more torquey if you just ran 3" pipe with a cutout. But then again, if you plan on doing big cam/heads or a stroker down the line...

You also say you don't want to hack up the exhaust, but you definitely will have to hack up at least the I-pipe if you want to run 4".
Old 07-25-2008, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

It's all speculation right now. We are installing SFC's, underdrive and loop this weekend. So while it is up on the lift we are going to measure all the clearances we have to work with and make up a list of the bends needed to fab it up. I don't expect anyone to follow me just give me info on the pieces back there if you have it. 3" or 4" pipe doesn't matter a whole lot since we are replacing the stock stuff. I just figured why not fit what you can when replacing.