Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflex help please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mufflex help please...

I've got it narrowed down to these two exhausts:

4" SpinTech Mufflex Single Out
4" SpinTech Mufflex Dual Out

I can't freakin decide and its driving me nuts. If I could actually hear both of them then it would solve the crisis for sure. At first I fell in love with the single out system because of its simplicity and the statement it makes. Not too loud (from what I have read anyway), and the sound is freakin awesome... unlike any F body exhaust made. Several times I have heard people say that they will only use this exhaust on their F bodys. Here is a short clip of a 3.5" Mufflex system http://youtube.com/watch?v=7lH5MXDv0W4

Everything was fine... until I heard this: http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...100_0608-1.flv I like this one mainly because of the unique Chevelle style tips, which I think compliment the Camaro bumper.

If you've heard them both, or have a strong opinion about one, please post up. I would love to get some more picures/videos of them. A year ago I did a lot of hard core searching and couldnt find a SINGLE freakin picture of the single exit system installed showing its tail pipe... now there are a few more.

BTW, I've already got a 4" Y pipe so that part is of no concern to me... and the flow stuff related to Spintech, not concerned. Totally a sound thing here. If in the future I feel like the exhaust is holding me back in my FI setup then sure, I'll throw a cutout in it. But my 3 year goal is a 600rwhp FI car.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

bump!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my 4" mufflex with flowmaster muffler and single hide away tip.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28271875648721

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72464937866944
Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds freakin awesome! Once I get a Mufflex setup I plan on putting together a nice writeup on here so no one has to search all over the place for pics/videos. I've PMed several people today about Mufflex systems and I am waiting to hear back from them. I also posted in the FS section that I am interested in trading my Hooker catback for a Mufflex, or outright selling it for $200 plus shipping... but I've got to have some kinda catback first!

I think the Flowmaster setup would be a little too loud for my taste, but it does sound nasty!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Im amazed that no one has chimed in saying "Why don't you just listen to the video's offered on the Mufflex website?" Far too pooptastic video to do anything. I Hope they aren't relying on the video to sell their mufflers...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the 4 with flowmaster and single and I like it pretty well.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my Mufflex 3.5" Single out system on for a few weeks now.
Yes I'm Old School I have the Flowmaster 30 series Race Muffler and I love it.
Throaty Deep sound but still not as loud as a SLP LM.

Heres some pics just after the install
I've since had it apart a couple times making fine tune adjustments trying to eliminate some vibrations on the frame from the over the axle tube.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Damn dude thats a pretty sweet lookin lawn you got there

Nice pictures. Its crazy that three of yall have replied and each one of you has had a Flowmaster. I'm trying for the Spintech version, even though I know the Flowmaster should flow better.

Have any of yall heard in person the spintech?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the Spintech 4" dual out on my 85 for nearly a year. I never really cared for the sound that much, so I traded the rear section for a Flomaster 4" single out. The Flowmaster sounds MUCH better, and dropped a LOT of weight. That Spintech dual was HEAVY! No noticable power loss with the Flowmaster.

If you've got a Camaro, I wouldn't even consider a dual out exhaust. IMO it looks retarded no matter what tips you've got. Go with the single out
Old 07-31-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah everone that I have talked to says that the Spintech is really heavy. I supose that if the right price on a flowmaster version would show up then I would get it. I've just heard so many good things about how they sound on LS1s.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm glad you find my open exhaust to mufflex video helpful.

The 4 inch would be HUGE and hard to fit over the axel and even louder then the 3.5 inch.

Stick with the mufflex/spintech setup, you won't regret it.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my old set-up I had a 4" spintech single in/single out, was a bit to raspy & not quite the sound I wanted.. I switched out to 4" single chamber & talk about mean sounding.. Very throaty & loud at wot.. At Idle it was super deep & had the flowmaster sound that you wouldn't expect to hear from a catback style exhaust, sounded more like my dual 40 series that I have now, only not as loud.. Here's a couple pics with the one chamber set-up.

Last edited by MM98; 07-31-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Thats the first time that I have heard the spintech described as raspy. Everyone seems to love it. BTW, your exhaust has long been a favorite of mine. In fact, I saved pics of it in a word document, right beside TheBlurLS1's old TD writeup. Any sound clips of that 1 chamber setup?

Quick Reply: Mufflex help please...