Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF, water pump just started dropping a ton of fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default WTF, water pump just started dropping a ton of fluid

So the car has been running pretty good since the new build (about 100 miles now). I was under it today looking at something completely unrelated and I see something dripping like crazy out of the corner of my eye. I look over and there's fluid dripping down the front timing cover onto the ground. I look at the fluid and it's coolant. Then it stops. Then out of nowhere about a minute later it squirts a little more out. I'm like what the hell? So I get out from under the car and pop open the radiator cap to relieve pressure, it bubbles and gurgles and the level has dropped to where I can't see it anymore.

I know there's a weep hole to tell me if it's going out but the pump only has like 65k miles on it and it was doing perfectly fine up until all of the sudden out of the blue it starts dropping fluid. I'm hoping it's just one of the gaskets that maybe I didn't get cleaned off well enough but it looks to be coming from under the hub which could only mean one thing.... new pump.

Anyways, does this seem odd to anyone? I thought the weep holes began leaking slowly... not all at one time.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my pump went out and i only had 45k on the clock.just had put a 160 stat and then went out like 3 weeks later.then they sold me a ls2 water pump and the 160 stat did not fit.i was likw wtf? so i had 2 put a stock ls2 stat. sucks
Old 07-29-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the weep hole? I change the one on my boys car after it leak from behind the pulley. He pick up on at adavance aut for like 160 I think.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI- I think the new Edelbrock pump is out. Flows about 20% more than OEM. They are proud of it though. It lists for like $389. I might try one when mine goes cause I run a lot hotter after the H/C install. Looks to be a nice piece.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the same problem but mines a real small leak which consist of a few drops every now and then but its been like this for about 2 months now and ive probably had to add 1/2 jug of coolant if that.. im not worried about it, its working right now so thats all that matters
Old 07-29-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O Reilly's should have one for cheap $$$