Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust too close too driveshaft???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust too close too driveshaft???

I had a flowmaster 4" y merge and a cutout welded into my exhaust a couple weeks ago. Now, because of an unrelated issue my driveshaft is slightly bent. A buddy of mine said the exhaust is too close to the driveshaft and the heat will warm it because its aluminum. I don't think its enough to warm the driveshaft but it just kind of got me thinking? What's everyone's opinion on this?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

First off if your DS is bent get a new one. You don't want that vibrating and falling off the car. Secondly why worry about the heat? Your driveshaft will get warm from the heat off the transmission and the heat coming from the rear end.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, trust me, I'm not driving it. After I found out what it was I brought it home and its been parked. I didn't think the heat would really affect it either, my buddy just got me wondering.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

The heat will not affect it. My exhaust is very close to the driveshaft right before it goes up over the axle and it's fine.