Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First mods for first Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mods for first Camaro

I bought an 01 Z28 A4 a couple weeks ago. It is my first camaro. It will be a daily driver to and from school. After spending some time on these great forums, I have been bit by the mod bug. It is also the first car that i will be modding. It is currently bone stock. I have no idea what to start out with. I was thinking about catbacks and LT headers? does this sound like a good idea? do i need to get a new y-pipe when doing these mods? sorry that im a noob, but you've got to start out somewhere, right? and im looking for a set-up that has a great sound, but isnt too loud. I looked at some LT1s when i was looking at camaros, and they just seemed to sound better than the LS1s, so anything i can do to improve the sound quality i would appreciate. Thanks in advance for all the help, Im sure I will learn alot from these forums.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is a daily driver also to and from school. I got SLP loudmouth 2's on my 99 SS, i love the deep smoothe sound of the system. I don't have headers on it yet tho so i don't know how loud it would be. it's pretty loud as it is right now tho.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Launching!

exhaust is often the first mod. lid is also a great cheaper first mod. do a search there are hundreds of these questions.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I did...

I ordered Pacesetter LTs, Pacesetter Y-pipe, and O2 sensor extensions from LS1Speed. The total ends up being $582 shipped.

Then, there are a few guys who will buy your stock catalytic convertors for $150 on here.

After that I ordered a Dynomax Bullet from Jegs which was $53 shipped and just welded it onto the end of the Y-pipe and put a turn down on it..an exhaust shop charged $30 for that.

$582 for headers,y-pipe,sensor extenions
-150 for selling your stock catalytic convertors
+$53 for a muffler
+$30 for exhaust shop welding on muffler

$515 for full exhaust!

Pacesetters are probably the easiest headers to install on our cars. So definitely do that yourself.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EJVYFZ
I bought an 01 Z28 A4 a couple weeks ago. It is my first camaro. It will be a daily driver to and from school. After spending some time on these great forums, I have been bit by the mod bug. It is also the first car that i will be modding. It is currently bone stock. I have no idea what to start out with. I was thinking about catbacks and LT headers? does this sound like a good idea? do i need to get a new y-pipe when doing these mods? sorry that im a noob, but you've got to start out somewhere, right? and im looking for a set-up that has a great sound, but isnt too loud. I looked at some LT1s when i was looking at camaros, and they just seemed to sound better than the LS1s, so anything i can do to improve the sound quality i would appreciate. Thanks in advance for all the help, Im sure I will learn alot from these forums.
If you buy LT headers, then yes you will need a new y-pipe. TSP sells coated pacesetter headers/tsp ORY (off road y) for like ~$485... cheapest i've seen yet (tho i may be wrong).
Keep in mind this set up is for "off road use only" and if ur state has strict emmision you may fail.
If you want to start with something easy that you can do urself in your driveway with minimal effort... I suggest you get a LID first.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say a lid and a K&N would be a good place to start.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lid, K&N filter, Ported & polish Throttle body, UD pulley, and a good ram air setup...

cheap mods and good bang for your buck...