Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is to much? (header size)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much is to much? (header size)

I kind of came up with this question while looking at headers the other day and I noticed that 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" were about the same price. So i was wondering how much header is to much header for a given motor size? What about stepped headers?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

I believe there is a dyno graph here that showed the difference between 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 headers. on a almost completely stock setup there wasnt much difference. I believe the bigger tubes made just a few more ft/lbs of torque with the same hp.

On a built setup, spend the extra money on the bigger headers, you will see more gains for your mods.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on a regular engine with mods the differnce would not be as noticeable as if you had a larger cube .
Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

the type of header your looking for is specific to your application.
as from my experience my 1 3/4 headers were a great addition to my stock internal motor but with lots of bolt ons. but now that ive gone and gotten a bigger cubic inch motor i now have the headers that able to flow the numbers that the motor is going to flow so thats why i upgraded to the 1 7/8 headers now. again it all depends on your application. what do u have done? what do u have plans for? answering those questions u will find which headers u want.