Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked oil pan

well my cam has been in for a week, I installed it. And I noticed tonight there wasa puddle of oil under it. the whole pans wet, on the bottom. Getting a closer look at it the front of the pan is f***** cracked. a very tiny crack that starts by a bolt that holds the timing cover on and goes back. It's so thin, but seems to be the cause.

And i know what you guys are thinking, i cranked the bolts down. Wrong, snugged the with a 3/8 ratchet, torqued them to factory spec, right out of the service manual. forgot what it was.

Anyone else ever experience this?? It didn't do it for 50 miles, just started last night. I'll tell ya this really made my night even better when I got under there and saw this.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks man. Those bad boys aren't cheap and are real fun to swap in the car. Did you run all the bolts down evenly before torquing, or did you just start tightening? Did you install a double roller chain or different oil pump that may be stopping the cover from seating properly?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

As stated already, make sure the pan is seated flush onto the block. If it is indeed cracked, you will need to replace it. To get it out, you will need to drop the k-member. First you will need to take out all 8 motor mount bolts. Next, jack up the motor about an inch or two. I jacked mine up right on the very front of the block behind the pulley. Now drop the k-member by loosening the 6 bolts that secure it. The k-member doesnt need to drop all the way, just enough so that the oil pan can slide out from the rear. If I remember correctly, you might have to lower it an inch or two. Loosen all your oil pan bolts, so that once you drop the k-member, you can just slide the pan out. Its not a hard job, but it takes a little while and it can be frustrating. Good luck buddy

Last edited by Raise; 08-09-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Any luck with this yet? I've seen what appears to be cracks, and it is just the casting of the aluminum.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

alumaweld dumdumdum!
seriously tho,
take to a weld shop and have them weld it, if its just cracks they can be filled in, as long as it didnt come apart in pieces you should be alright
Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 84ls1_transam
Any luck with this yet? I've seen what appears to be cracks, and it is just the casting of the aluminum.
Ive seen this as well. Maybe its just not lined up right. Theyre not that easy to get lined up. I know this from personal experience.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NemeSS
alumaweld dumdumdum!
seriously tho,
take to a weld shop and have them weld it, if its just cracks they can be filled in, as long as it didnt come apart in pieces you should be alright
I had the same issue dam installer But I used Jb weld on mine It did not split apart it was just a hair line about the lenth of a finger nail it left little drops and I hate that ****! Its been about 4 years now.

Quick Reply: cracked oil pan