Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I running too big of an exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Am I running too big of an exhaust?

Stock heads and bottom end but I have a Futral F13 230/232 on a 112 +2 cam, full intake (lid, bellows, TB, LS6, etc...) and a 100hp shot of nitrous.

It MIGHT get heads in the future (so please keep that in mind) but it definitely will stay stock displacement...

The exhaust is Mac Mid-Lengths (ported) with the crappy flanges cut off and replaced with V-Band clamps (so they are straight 3") into a dual 3" y-pipe (with high flow metal core cats) into a Flowmaster y-pipe then into a 4" Mufflex with Spintech muffler and dual 3"s out...

EXHAUST (pics are before the cats were on):

Is it too big for my car? Is it actually causing me to loose power? No dyno/track numbers yet, just wondering... Thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes its too big. u get great sdound withe the 4" but poor power. replace them with a 3" exhaust.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Banned

What about a dual 3"? Still too big? Just don't know what to do since the pipes coming off the header are 3"... Do I just neck them down???

Just don't know much about exhaust flow...
Old 08-06-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the 3" Y-Pipe there fine but the monster 4" catback is so so big. only change the catback. go back to the shop in sure he will figger out some thing.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I saw "408" on your hood at some time looking at pics.

Anyway, go get a Magnaflow catback and you'll be straight. 4" is diesel sized.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i dont understand how a 4 inch cat back would be too big. logic would tell you that your exhaust is only gonna flow as much as its most restrictive part. so if you had a 2 inch section of pipe followed by a 10 inch exhaust it would only flow as much as that 2 inch pipe could support. also how is his setup any different then someone with a cutout on the Y pipe? it would then be venting into the atmosphere with even less restriction then his 4 inch catback. i guess thats the old "you need some back pressure to make power" arguement huh.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't even worry about it, that's not too big. Spintech mufflers are known for flowing poorly so the extra size will help that cam breathe up top. I've got a 4" flowmaster merge followed by a 4" cutout then reduced back into a hooker catback. Its great, I love it. Loud or quiet comes at the flick of a switch.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
i dont understand how a 4 inch cat back would be too big. logic would tell you that your exhaust is only gonna flow as much as its most restrictive part. so if you had a 2 inch section of pipe followed by a 10 inch exhaust it would only flow as much as that 2 inch pipe could support. also how is his setup any different then someone with a cutout on the Y pipe? it would then be venting into the atmosphere with even less restriction then his 4 inch catback. i guess thats the old "you need some back pressure to make power" arguement huh.
wow, somebody actually knows what are they are talking about for once. I wouldn't spend any money modifying your exhaust. I have TD 3" over the axle. using the formular for area of a circle (pi*r^2), you get the following:

Cross-sectional area of 4" pipe => = 12.46 inches squared
Cross-sectional area of 2X3" pipe => 14.13 inches squared

Its funny how people claim a 3" TD exhaust is the best flowing but a 4" y-pipe is too big. You can say what you want about scavenging effects, but I believe that the cross-sectional area of an exhaust system is the key factor.

Can somebody please shed some light on how backpressure creates TQ? And i don't mean some redneck BS about how there car feels torqier with a catback then open headers, but a real explination of the physics behind it.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i have heard the scavenging is more in the headers. hence the big changes in power going to a LT. something about the gases cooling further down the line and losing velocity. i dont remember exactly but it made sense at the time. once you get to at least a 3 inch diameter pipe with a bolt on/cam car...ORY, TD, cutout, or 4 inch catback i dont think makes any difference unless you are a dyno queen. most performance mufflers prolly can produce similar HP numbers and obviously there has to be a winner and loser. at a 3 or 4 inch level, i would choose my exhaust on the most important factor for you. i chose bullets bc of their size and the 100% straight through design.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by landonew
wow, somebody actually knows what are they are talking about for once. I wouldn't spend any money modifying your exhaust. I have TD 3" over the axle. using the formular for area of a circle (pi*r^2), you get the following:

Cross-sectional area of 4" pipe => = 12.46 inches squared
Cross-sectional area of 2X3" pipe => 14.13 inches squared

Its funny how people claim a 3" TD exhaust is the best flowing but a 4" y-pipe is too big. You can say what you want about scavenging effects, but I believe that the cross-sectional area of an exhaust system is the key factor.

Can somebody please shed some light on how backpressure creates TQ? And i don't mean some redneck BS about how there car feels torqier with a catback then open headers, but a real explination of the physics behind it.
+1
I was going to point out that the single 4" flows the same or less then a 2x3" setup. I'm glad you posted up the math behind it.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does no one read stickies anymore? The subject is covered in the stickies & is far more complex than an internet thread is going to reveal.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Does no one read stickies anymore? The subject is covered in the stickies & is far more complex than an internet thread is going to reveal.
Yeah, I read the stickies but they didn't say what I wanted to know...

They tell you when, at what power level, an exhaust becomes restrictive but I wanted to know what was too big...
Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the post guys... Just wanted to make sure it wasn't over kill and robbing power through back pressure like you hear about (but apparently is bs)...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'ld be more likely to hurt performance with too big a primary tube on your headers than a cat-back on the large side. You're fine. Even taking the cat-back off altogether, you might lose 3 ft-lbs and gain 9 rwhp

Last edited by Whistler; 08-06-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Thanks for all the post guys... Just wanted to make sure it wasn't over kill and robbing power through back pressure like you hear about (but apparently is bs)...
no man, your exhaust is fine, the only thing that might be hurting you powerwise is that spintech muffler
Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Whistler
You'ld be more likely to hurt performance with too big a primary tube on your headers than a cat-back on the large side. You're fine. Even taking the cat-back off altogether, you might lose 3 ft-lbs and gain 9 rwhp
You are the reason I'm considering this anyways... Just looking for an excuse to rip it off and put on what you had on the silver car

A buddy of mine has the same headers with SLP LM1 (flowmaster y) highflow cats and CME... For some weird reason it actually sounds throaty like a Mustang and reminded me of yours and Keith's setup.

I searched but couldn't find sound clips of either of your cars (you or Keith) to see if I was just making the memory all warm and fuzzier than it was

Also, if I did your setup I'd be using dual 3" all the way back and didn't know if that would change the sound too much as well... Basically I'm chasing the golden egg, the LS1 that sounds like a Mustang.

The Mufflex on this car just doesn't sound as killer as it did on the 94Z...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Change the heads on the car to something with 59cc chambers. The cam you have is bleeding off some compression that is affecting the way it sounds.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned

Change the heads on the car to something with 59cc chambers. The cam you have is bleeding off some compression that is affecting the way it sounds.
Yeah it sucks, when I did the cam I didn't realize the buddy's garage I was in had a set of heads for sale cheap about 4ft away from me the whole time...

Heads probably won't happen for awhile, just dropped $2000 into the tranny.

So no sound clips of either of your cars?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Nah I don't even thnk I have any pics of it. JP does though.. I think. That was a sick exhaust, but I think the carbon pipes had something to do with the sound of it, because KEith's sounded much different than mine
Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Nah I don't even thnk I have any pics of it. JP does though.. I think. That was a sick exhaust, but I think the carbon pipes had something to do with the sound of it, because KEith's sounded much different than mine
I liked it before the carbon fiber pipes even... I remember how it looked (to imitate it) and would probably go the Keith route (bang the **** out of the floor) but would have to break even after selling the Mufflex set up and I doubt that would happen so I'm probably keeping it...

You think MadKilla has a sound clip somewhere?