Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bolton Install Tomorrow. Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bolton Install Tomorrow. Any Tips?

Well I'm finally installing my Pacesetters, poly motor mounts, and LS6 intake tomorrow. Is there any final advice you guys have before I take the plunge? Biggest thing I've done install wise to my car before is a catback so this will be interesting
Old 08-06-2008, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

Oil sending unit?

because your probably gonna break the stock one?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Addict

Take your time
Old 08-06-2008, 03:36 AM
12 Second Club

Take your time, don't feel like you have to finish everything in an afternoon. Give yourself a nice pat on the back for doing the poly mounts while you have the manifolds off. None of the stuff you're doing is difficult, just time consuming. Just take your time getting the old intake off. I did mine twice and haven't broken the oil pressure sending unit. I don't know why so many people have such difficulty with it.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A sawzall will cut through that casting tab like butter.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:33 AM
12 Second Club

rag over intake ports on the heads during LS6 intake install, so you don't drop a bolt down in there.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All are good. And as for the O.Pressure sending unit, just be patient and you wont break it. After removing mine a couple times you gotta really yank the **** out of the intake to pull that ****** off, or physically throw the intake towards the firewall. And sawzall will nuke the casting tab in a heartbeat. Poly mounts is a smart move as well, wish I did mine when I initially did the headers...

-J
Old 08-06-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after completion, your hands will look as though you got in a fight with a hedgetrimmer, and lost.

headers and intake aren't real tough. i assume you are going to remove air/egr during the install? get yourself a good 10mm wratcheting wrench, it will come in handy removing the passenger side rear coilpack bracket bolt and also the driver's side rear manifold bolt.

my car picked up 10mph from stock by adding an ls6 intake and headers. also switched out the stock stall for a 4k, so i think i may have gained more with the stock stall. on the stock tune, btw, banging the limiter on 2-3.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s346k
after completion, your hands will look as though you got in a fight with a hedgetrimmer, and lost.

headers and intake aren't real tough. i assume you are going to remove air/egr during the install? get yourself a good 10mm wratcheting wrench, it will come in handy removing the passenger side rear coilpack bracket bolt and also on the driver's side rear manifold bolt.
+1.

I'm just wrapping up my LT/ORY/GMMG/YANKSS3600 + a few other goodies. It's taken me a few days, but i've only been working afternoons. Also had to drop the tranny. But it's all went pretty smooth, no major hiccups.

Just take your time and invest in some mechanics gloves. I've NEVER worked on a car that will cut you up as much as these cars do. They look like I punched a roll of barbed wire.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

congrats on the parts. me and hilton just did a cam swap in mine and it took 4 afternoons to finish it completely. we drank lots of beer in the 100* heat.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

it never hurts to have an extra set of hands. it was a huge help to have my buddy help with the intake. not that it was hard, but to manuever that thing out of there carefully was easir with 2 people. and i still broke the damn OPS, but no biggie i picked up and new one and it was a 30min dealy in the project.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

I'll echo what the other guys have said. Best advice is to take your time. It isn't overly difficult, just time consuming.

Make sure you have the proper tools. In addition to the usual stuff, I needed a good jack to get the front end up high enough to slide the headers in. A 3/8" drill bit to drill out the rivets on the mounts. From there, a cheap propane torch to split them and get the rubber portion out. I needed to pull the oil filter, drain plug, and steering linkage to slide my driver side header in. Instant oil change! So, it helped to have an extra 6 quarts of oil and a filter handy. Also, expect to have the hose for the power steering fluid pop off...replacement power steering fluid was necessary. Finally, an extra set of hands is occasionally useful. I did most of it myself. I slid the headers in, grabbed a jackstand, and let the collector rest on it. Then, I had my girlfriend slide under the car and hold them as I got a few bolts started up top. Also helped to have her down there to wiggle them around as I threaded the remaining bolts in.

I should also mention, I believe some of the guides will say to pull the starter for the mount install. I did not. I had plenty of clearance with the manifolds out, the A/C compressor, and the alternator (don't forget the red wire that goes to the top of the alternator) unbolted and pushed forward.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help! I'm a little over 3 hours in and we have the AIR and EGR removed along with the stock Y pipe and cats removed. Me and a buddy were having a bitch of a time getting the manifold to head bolts off (they seem super tight, but were getting them slowly but surely) We're gonna take a break and go get some parts (band clamps, oil and filter, plug wires, and Clutch fluid since i figured it would be easier to bleed the hydrolics with the exhaust removed). I was wondering, do I need to get new intake port gaskets for my LS6 intake? The stock GM ones look fine but my buddy thinks I should get new ones anyway.

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got new seals for when I upgrade to my Fast 92mm intake. They weren't that expensive so I figured I'd do them while I'm in there.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Well, all stock exhaust is removed along with the alternator, A/C compressor, idler brackets, and motor mounts. We're just starting to pry the clamshells apart and install the new mounts. I was thinking however, would it be a good idea to do the intake manifold now while the engine is free to move? Basically, could I just lower the engine a bit to make the intake install easier without worrying about breaking anything (hoses, wires, etc)?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep it up dude. a big *** pry bar can be a help when aligning those motor mounts to the pedestals and engine.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well goodluck man...the biggest thing is take your time and dont get frustrated,this **** gets to be a bitch sometimes,so dont just half as it or get pissed and break something,if you dont do that you will be fine...also just wiggle the intake and it will pop out that was the hardest the first time i did it,or you can zip tie the rear bolts up so they dont get stuck in the ports...anyways goodluck
Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Oil sending unit?

because your probably gonna break the stock one?
+1 take your time with your intake and make sure to cover the fuel injecter bungs are covered so nothing falls down in there
Old 08-09-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well this may be too late but replace your plugs while the manifolds are off
Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most I ever did in a day was, Intake,headers, shocks, plugs,tq arm,swaybar front and rear,breaks and rotors!. Started at 0500 in the morning finish 2200 LOL Will I do it again Hell no! but was fun! Good luck. and a quick tip. If you still have the intake off I would buy a oil pressure sending unit socket,Put the socket on the pressure sending unit then replace the intake. Better than spending 50 bucks on a sending unit for a 3 dollar socket.