Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install

Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install

hey guys my buddy has a 99 formula and hes buying some hooker headers off ebay or goin with the hedmans from summit.. anyways we plan to do it without a lift... is there any great tips?? also should he get a new y pipe? hes got flowfaster exhaust now... thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

He will need to get a new y pipe. the oem y pipe will not work with headers. also get new gaskets from GM, dont use paper ones. When you install them get the car jacked up and on stands as high as you can. it wont be to hard. Change the spark plugs when you have the manifolds off very easy to do then.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing you need to tell your buddy is to **** can that Flowmaster and buy a muffler that actually flows well.

I wouldn't get the car too high up on jack stands, because you'll cause yourself problems trying to lean over the fender and work. If you've got two jacks, I would recommend just jacking up each side of the car with it's own individual jack, set the height you need to do what you're doing, and then when you're ready to work under the hood again, lower your jacks down to the desired level. Kinda like a ghetto lift system.

To break it down simple..

-Go ahead and pop off the stock Ypipe first. The bolts on the manifold are 15mm, and will probably have to be snapped off unless you're using an impact gun. Most of the time they're rusted and won't turn well with a ratchet.
-Take the coil packs off the car. Makes a word of difference for reaching in there
-Change the plugs while you're in there, as they have to be removed anyway
-Take your dipstick out, 15mm bolt on the side of the pass. head. Makes things a lot easier. Just make sure to have some help with lining it back up when you reinstall it.
-To give yourself more room and to not beat the hell out of the header on the drivers side getting it in, remove the steering knuckle. It's two 7/16 bolts, that are easily accessible. This will give you a world of room to slide the header right in with no interruptions
-Yes you will need an aftermarket Ypipe
-Where some types of tight fitting mechanics gloves if you can. The cowl is sharp and will rip your hands apart
-Don't forget you will need 02 extensions to plug in the front 02's *DO NOT plug them in to the back harness just because they're closer *
-Good luck

PS- I'm right up the road if you guys throw in the towel and don't wanna do it

Search this Thread