Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i take off my egr valve? pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: should i take off my egr valve? pros and cons?

The only reason I took mine off was because I swapped an LS6 intake w/o provisions. With the stock intake, I would just cut the tube to help out with the airflow into the intake.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:55 AM
TECH Veteran

No the cams are diff.
A larger cam (change in '01)with more overlap negated the need for an EGR valve.
We got SMALLER cams with LESS overlap.....the smaller cam negated the need for the EGR.....

if your put the "older" 97-00 cam in an 01+ car, it would make more hp than the 01+ cam.....

The egr does not effect performance.

I would love for someone to try and show me how filling the cylinders with an unburnable exhaust gas (instead of fresh air/fuel mixture) will not hurt performance.....oh...wait.....nobody would be that stupid... (j/k)

It is designed to lower combustion temps by inducing inert gas (exhaust) into the chamber.
It increases the temp of the incoming air (air through the filter vs. exhaust gas.....which one is hotter ) so it actually heats up the intake manifold and sends a hotter air charge into the system which can increase chance of knock.....

once again....it does however replace burnable fuel/air mixture with unburnable exhaust gas.....

Engine's do tend to ping at a steady low speed high load cruise, the egr operating range.
It is the added insurance against this.
again... ...how can adding hot exhaust gas to your intake charge HELP PREVENT pinging.....

the reason cars with the egr removed ping is because the increased air flow causes a lean condition.....

If you have emissions to deal with leave it alone spend your time tweekin' the car elsewhere.
this is the only thing I can "somewhat" agree with but even this one I have to say NO.....

if you can get through emissions without it on (delete the codes and make it look like the EGR was never there) then go for it.....its free hp...

Sorry if I came across harsh but I get really sick of hearing people run the GM/EPA bullshit...

"YES!!! EMISSIONS CONTROLS HURT PERFORMANCE!!! THAT’S WHY MY CATS ARE IN THE LANDFILL INSTEAD OF ON MY CAR!!!"

once again...sorry about that.....nothing personal...
Old 09-02-2003, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the honesty, i love it. haha so its possible to have it run leaner if i take it out, but for that i just need to keep an eye on fuel trims, becasue it will only effect part throttle right?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think im gonna go ahead and just take that joker out, all of you made some really good points but 2001camaroguy's explanation made the most sense if you ask me. thats what i was thinking but some others made it seem like i was thinking wrong. how could hot exhaust gases possibly make combustion temps cooler? my intake air temp is only 5 deg more than the ambient outside temp and those exhaust gases are a lot hotter than that.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lets seeee.....
Do the Vettes have EGR? NO!
Have Vettes ever had it on the LS1? NO!
Do they have great perfrmance and gas mileage anyway? YES!
Do you need the EGR? NO!
Does it look cleaner, and make it easier to work on with the EGR? YES!
Ditch it! I want to do mine, but will wait until I get !EGR headers for it too.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks for the honesty, i love it. haha so its possible to have it run leaner if i take it out, but for that i just need to keep an eye on fuel trims, becasue it will only effect part throttle right?
yep...I tuned my friends car after we removed his and it was leaner...so just watch the F-trims and make adjustments to the IFR table in LS1Edit (if thats what you have).
Old 09-02-2003, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

how could hot exhaust gases possibly make combustion temps cooler?
well...combustion temps will be lower because you are not burning as much air/fuel mixture...

think of it as the opposite of spraying nitrous:

- on the spray you have A LOT more oxygen and fuel so the temps go WAY up (why pistons melt on the spray if lean)

- so if you now keep that in mind, removing oxygen and fuel (replace it with unburnable exhaust) will mean less heat (but also loose volumetric efficiency and volumetric efficiency = hp)...

my intake air temp is only 5 deg more than the ambient outside temp and those exhaust gases are a lot hotter than that.
that’s the deal.....you heat up the intake manifold and air coming in with exhaust that you spent $500+ on headers to get rid of... ....it lowers your VE which means you give up hp and if you think about it even HURTS fuel economy...
Old 09-02-2003, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

well im gonna go to the store now so i can fabricate some block off plates, thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 04:01 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i deleted mine for my ls6 intake, also !AIR too. engine bay looks alot cleaner. will have it tuned and delete the codes when i get my cam in oct.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think mine will be comming off. SES light wont effect perfomance right? I live in MD and my car cant go over the rollers on the emmisions place and i get a FREE 2 year waver. Love beating the system!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

look how old the thread is lol
Old 06-14-2007, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLP4CamaroSS
look how old the thread is lol
better than making a new thread
Old 06-14-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roosteracer
better than making a new thread
while the guy made a comment on his so i dont see how this effect this in any way
Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just like to add that in a combustion process, the EGR does have a benefit of lowering combustion chamber temperatures.

By cycling back exhaust into the combustion process, an inert gas has been reintroduced. We all agree that some of the volume of oxygen and fuel is replaced by this inert gas.

What you need to realize is that this gas also has the ability to "absorb" more of the heat energy of combustion as well. This is because the exhaust gases increase the specific heat capacity of the mixture. To put this in perspective, NOx will form around 1500F. A properly functioning EGR is able to reduce those temps significantly. This allows the PCM to lean out the fuel further (since detonation is less likely under lower combustion chamber temps) and increase gas mileage. We're talking only part throttle benefits where MOST of our cars will spend it's life hanging around.

Here's what I think. If you cam it, get rid of the EGR, only the stock 98-00 cams were used with EGR in mind. If you have 01-02, then your cam IS doing it's own self EGR, don't kid yourself that the "concept" was removed. Just reengineered.

A benefit of getting rid of it is that since the EGR is in the intake stream, it's one less contaminant for your intake to deal with.

If emissions are going to be a problem (this is different for every state/country) then keep it.

Where I live, visually inspected for existence, so I have no choice but to play by the rules.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i took it off mine,

i work in a mercedes workshop and have seen what those egr fckers do to ther engine.. its all full of crap
Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

where can you get block off plates if you have a stock exhaust manifold? i wanna delete my EGR but dont feel like waiting for my LT headers
Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s25hanh
where can you get block off plates if you have a stock exhaust manifold? i wanna delete my EGR but dont feel like waiting for my LT headers
speedinc or texasautocraft.com
Old 12-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by s25hanh
or the ws6store
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Speedinc has them too. I got mine from there...

Originally Posted by evlta02
Why not--DETONATION!! The cooling effect egr has on the chamber is in addition to taking up space inside the chamber improving flame front & a dozen or more other factors.
I never had a problem after I pulled my AGR off. Just a check light and I had the system tuned out when I did my heads and cam.

The EGR just adds an inert gas (Exhaust) to the combustion mixture to bring down the temperature of the burn to reduct NOX emissions (nitrates of oxygen IIRC.)

-=edit=-

Damn necroposting fkers again!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Speedinc has them too. I got mine from there...

-=edit=-

Damn necroposting fkers again!
i think imma wait till i get LT's to pull the EGR system.

necroposting??

Quick Reply: should i take off my egr valve? pros and cons?