Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-pipe "Bump Stop"

Old 08-10-2008, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-pipe "Bump Stop"

Has anybody used this?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...af32575854aaba

My Y-pipe bangs very bad under the drivers side and I’ve wrapped and wrapped it in heat wrap, but it's still very loud.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you changed motor mounts or transmission mounts out yet? Sometimes that is all it takes. How much clearance do you have it it is just sitting turned off?
Old 08-10-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

poly/solid motor mounts
Old 08-10-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my ypipe bumpstop kit from thunderracing but haven't installed it yet.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont bother, just do poly mounts. PITA install, but absolutely no bad side effects. I was shocked at how it didnt change anything about the way the car was... except for the Y pipe not banging.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed with the above... Poly motor mounts is the correct way to fix this problem
Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money on the the bandaids for banging pipes. Poly mounts or get the pipes mounted properly to begin with.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

These pics are my solution to the problem.
The motor mount shown has a 1/2" square steel piece welded in. I did that on each corner of both mounts. It limits movement, is as smooth as a rubber mount. There might be 5/8" ORY to floorboard clearance and it doesn't hit.
This car has pacesetter headers with an edelbrock ory.

My other car has pacesetter headers and ORY and it slams, stock mounts. I may do this mod to just one corner of one mount on that car.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Not sure if I really understand what you've done there 9000th01ss, can you put some stuff in a little more detail? Also is it something you can do on the car? Or do the motor mounts have to be removed?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

I've heard of putting some Radiator hose and clamping it down with one of these
Old 08-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tchapma1
Not sure if I really understand what you've done there 9000th01ss, can you put some stuff in a little more detail? Also is it something you can do on the car? Or do the motor mounts have to be removed?
I did it before I put the engine in the car so it was easy.
The steel basically acts as a limiter, the pieces are welded to the outer shell.
When the engine torque tries to twist the engine, the rubber coated steel insert hits the steel I welded on the outer shell.
I tried to take some pics now, the car is on jackstands and the trans is out but I couldn't get a good pic. It doesn't look possible to do with it in the car.
I am going to look at it real good in the next couple of days because I really want to solve the problem of the pipe banging on my other car.

I don't believe the header or pipe should be clamped to hold it from hitting because it stresses the exhaust and it might eventually crack. So IMO the motor mounts are the answer to keeping the pipe off the floor.

If I can get a decent pic I'll post it up.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Have you changed motor mounts or transmission mounts out yet? Sometimes that is all it takes. How much clearance do you have it it is just sitting turned off?
Trans yes. But motor no. I'm really trying to save up my money to lower the car and buy new shocks and struts. So what am I looking at to buy motor mounts? and how difficult is that to do? I have also heard that poly mounts can be loud and that’s the hole reason I am doing this in the first place. I couldn't tell you what kind of clearance I have off the top of my head, but Its not a lot I had it mounted pity close to keep all the clearance I could.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

By "absolutely no change," I meant "absolutely no change." The car isnt louder, it isnt stiffer, it doesnt vibrate, it doesnt rattle anything, it doesnt call you names, it doesnt smell bad, it doesnt do ANYTHING except for limit the engine movement. It doesnt stop it like SOLID mounts... thats why they arent solid. They are poly mounts. Not lead, not gold, not rubber... When will people get this? All it takes is one freakin moron to say that it was rougher to make everyone get all bent out of shape and think their car is going to suddenly start behaving... like a muscle car?

You wont notice any difference. Period. I was actaully disapointed at how it was exactly the same. All the hype was bull ****. But I didnt care because my Y pipe stopped banging

So take our advice, EVERYONE, and get poly mounts. BTW, I had the mufflex bumpstop... and now I have poly mounts. You do the math
Old 08-10-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

I've used it and it helped but it would rattle the car at times instead of the banging lol. then i got the AR setup
Old 08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

So who makes a good poly mount and what will it cost me and how difficult to install?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00_Z-28
So who makes a good poly mount and what will it cost me and how difficult to install?
i got the poly motor mounts and trans mount from WS6 store. the install wasnt bad at all for me. the worst part was my slip fit peice of **** paceshitter y pipe. this week that pos will be gone tho
Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

I got mine from speed inc
Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
By "absolutely no change," I meant "absolutely no change." The car isnt louder, it isnt stiffer, it doesnt vibrate, it doesnt rattle anything, it doesnt call you names, it doesnt smell bad, it doesnt do ANYTHING except for limit the engine movement. It doesnt stop it like SOLID mounts... thats why they arent solid. They are poly mounts. Not lead, not gold, not rubber... When will people get this? All it takes is one freakin moron to say that it was rougher to make everyone get all bent out of shape and think their car is going to suddenly start behaving... like a muscle car?

You wont notice any difference. Period. I was actaully disapointed at how it was exactly the same. All the hype was bull ****. But I didnt care because my Y pipe stopped banging

So take our advice, EVERYONE, and get poly mounts. BTW, I had the mufflex bumpstop... and now I have poly mounts. You do the math

x2 people are moaning about this, I barely noticed a difference on my car and a friends car. Both with poly mounts, trans mount.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Default y pipebang.

hi if the y is banging then isn't it real close to the fuel lines that run above the pipe,that would be my first concern, ????
Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Unless you personally fabricated the Y pipe then don't concern yourself with it. The only people that mess with fuel lines are the dual people, and thats just to get more ground clearance. All the manufactured Y pipes won't have an issue... but then again they all could be thinking that we knew better and put in poly mounts then too.

Search this Thread