Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0327 SES Code

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0327 SES Code

I got this code yesterday morning and I know it has to do with the KS under the intake.. I been searching on this site on everyone's issue but I'm curious where this plug is at?? In this thread there's a great pic of the OSU and the KS locations but is the blue plug what I need to check if it's unplugged??

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=p0327

For those who bought the KS(s) and harness where did you find the best deals at?

Is it safe for the engine to drive with a malfunction KS?? It's my DD right now and I prob won't get to it till Sunday and when the parts come in.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the knock sensor is under the valley cover . if it is not working right it could be pulling time or adding it . as long as you dont dog it you should be good . the sensor could of just vibrated loose or needs replacement . should be good though .
Old 08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

That code will put you in the low octane table, as SC alluded, if you haven't copied it. You can definitely drive with that code until you get your KSs replaced.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know where the KSs are located but what plug is everyone talking about to see if it didn't get unplugged??

Is the clip blue like the pic that is shown in the thread I copied??
Old 08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to tell from that pic, I'd just follow the harness from where it comes out from under the intake towards the passenger side then to the connector. Believe the connector has a dark blue wire, and a light blue wire. Just in case you need it: www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9031.php
Old 08-14-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there a particular place everyone prefers to buy the KS/harness(if needed)?? I saw AZ sells them(duralast) but checking options
Old 08-14-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snake charmer
the knock sensor is under the valley cover . if it is not working right it could be pulling time or adding it . as long as you dont dog it you should be good . the sensor could of just vibrated loose or needs replacement . should be good though .
What does this mean?? sorry but I'm all new when it comes to messing with motors
Old 08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
What does this mean?? sorry but I'm all new when it comes to messing with motors
PMFJI SnakeCharmer, but that just means when you have a KS code, the car goes into sort of a limp mode by pulling timing by referencing the low octane table in the PCM. The car won't perform to its full potential, but it's still drivable.

I got my sensors and harness at gmpartsdirect.com.

Just want to mention that chances are that your sensors are not disconnected (those connections are very secure) but instead water got under your intake causing the sensor to short out.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ that's what I've been thinking is water did get under and shorted the sensors.. It rained on tuesday and unfortunately I drove in it..

Thx predatorZ!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JMO but don't think driving in the rain has anything to do with it - usually happens after someone sprays water on the engine while trying to clean it, especially sensor 1. Bet it's got corrosion on it.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
JMO but don't think driving in the rain has anything to do with it - usually happens after someone sprays water on the engine while trying to clean it, especially sensor 1. Bet it's got corrosion on it.
I think mine shorted from a rain storm, the codes showed up right after, both codes, P0332 too. But I also used to be careless washing the engine, so I'm not 100% sure.

Darkhorse, when you install the new sensors, create a silicone dam with red RTV around the sensors leaving a little gap for the water to flow-out if it gets inside the silicone dam. Also remove the black foam from under your intake because it whicks water to the sensors and also holds water. GM has a TSB that says to take those exact steps. You should be able to drive in the rain after that fix, but be careful about getting water behind the intake if you wash the engine. I just use a fine mist of water and stay away from the back of the engine. I haven't had the codes since, and it's been about 5 or 6 years. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea like I said, it rained tuesday and drove in it and wednesday on way to work the SES light popped on. I don't wash my engine so that ain't an issue. I clean it by hand. I was gonna ask about the foam pieces so it's better to chunk them I guess?

I didn't go by the torque specs when I tightened the intake bolts since I don't have the tool but I tightened as much as I felt it needed to be.. Maybe that's a problem as well why water got in if it did..
Old 08-15-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

yea like I said, it rained tuesday and drove in it and wednesday on way to work the SES light popped on. I don't wash my engine so that ain't an issue. I clean it by hand. I was gonna ask about the foam pieces so it's better to chunk them I guess?

I didn't go by the torque specs when I tightened the intake bolts since I don't have the tool but I tightened as much as I felt it needed to be.. Maybe that's a problem as well why water got in if it did..
Definitely get rid of the foam under the intake. There's an opening or slot under the intake where water can just rush in. The intake bolts shouldn't have anything to do with it. It's water. Good luck on the repair. I'd personally get a new wire and two new sensors. It's difficult to not damage the wire where they connect to the knock sensors, trying to disconnect it.

Last edited by Predator; 08-15-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

BTW, Darkhorse, if your wire was disconnected behind the intake, you'd be throwing both KS codes, P0327 and P0332.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ty Predator!!

btw, i'm online at gmpartsdirect and I sent them an email yest regarding the part #s and I got them for the sensor & wire harness but I didn't ask if the sensors are the same.. Are they with the KS part # they gave me?? Do I just order 2 sensors?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Ty Predator!!

btw, i'm online at gmpartsdirect and I sent them an email yest regarding the part #s and I got them for the sensor & wire harness but I didn't ask if the sensors are the same.. Are they with the KS part # they gave me?? Do I just order 2 sensors?
Yes, sensors are the same, #10456603, and KS Wiring Harness is #15372170.

These are the numbers when I ordered about 6 years ago. GM part numbers sometimes change over the years, so don't panic if the numbers gmpartsdirect gave you are different. As long as you told them that it's for a 2000 f-body, you should be good, but the two sensors you need are the same, and same part number.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM

I have the same code now p0327... I just recently (about two weeks ago), washed my engine with engine gunk and a hose, and the day the code threw, drove through a carwash that sprayed water up under the car. Is it likley that I just shorted out the sensor?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ajb716
I have the same code now p0327... I just recently (about two weeks ago), washed my engine with engine gunk and a hose, and the day the code threw, drove through a carwash that sprayed water up under the car. Is it likley that I just shorted out the sensor?
Absolutely, just follow instructions in this thread. Most f-body owners have to do this repair, that's why GM has a TSB for it.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ajb716
I have be washing my engine bay and under the engine as well for 5 years and its best to have the car cold and not to spray it with strong pressure and use a leaf blower to get the water out . If you have a hot or warm car and wash it and then drive it...it could cause sensor to short out.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

new part no.s for gmpartsdirect (pls double check by sending an email on your specific year of veh.) The part no. listed is for a 2000 model(v8)

KS #- 12589867
Wire/Harness # - 12601822

Quick Reply: P0327 SES Code