Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i port on my TFS heads to match my FAST92?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question should i port on my TFS heads to match my FAST92?

ok...i'm about to start the portwork on my FAST intake and i did a preliminary mock-up against one of my TFS heads, and there IS material that needs to be taken off of the FAST, but on one side of each port, the FAST port is larger than the port on the head. should i blend the area around the lip of the port to match the intake, or should i leave my $2500 heads the way the came to me?

here's a pic to show you what i'm talking about.

the right side of the FAST port needs some trimming, but obviously the left side is way to the side of the head's port. the only thing that raises a *little* concern is that i don't have intake port gaskets...granted, they don't really cause the intake to shift left or right, but they do affect the way it sits on the head. FWIW i had the intake sitting with it's bolt-hole bosses in the head the way they would be installed. i could shift it around just a tiny bit, but it didn't affect the way the ports lined up.

thoughts?

thanks,
ben
Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HEADS.

I've known about this issue as well... and I have TFS 215 heads and I'm about to install the Fast 92 too...

Trick Flow raised the intake runner floor for a reason... I'm certain that they knew about this issue, yet their design still makes more power than a typical port profile....

Call TEA and talk to Mike if you want to know more...
Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

i thought about that, i remebered reading SOMETHING about them changing their ports. i was hoping someone from TEA would chime in, but i probably won't touch the heads at all regardless...

it just seems like a LOT of mismatch to me. i guess since the other 3 sides will line up, it'll be like the runner has more plenum to pull from, but it still seems like having that ~1/8" of head port in the way, an undesirable amount of turbulence would be created.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:55 PM
FormerVendor

NO!!!! Do not touch them..

We just finished porting and port matching a FAST 92mm to my TFS's they looked the same...
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng
NO!!!! Do not touch them..

We just finished porting and port matching a FAST 92mm to my TFS's they looked the same...
lol, yes sir! i didn't really think i should, but i had to ask....
Old 08-15-2008, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trickflow had a 402 on the engine dyno making 600 hp with TFS 225 heads, we pulled the heads off, lowered the floor to match the Fast intake and the engine made 590 hp...

I would match the sides and the roof and leave the floor alone, good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by Brian Tooley Racing; 08-15-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't touch the heads. A better way would be to raise the floor on the FAST using epoxy but you'd better know what you are doing. You would want to extend the "raising" well up the runner and blend it in well.

My $.02
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anything I'd try to raise the floor of the intake. But what material would be reliable and not break off and get sucked in? Is it even worth it? Anyone tried this?
Old 08-15-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

raising the intake floor would allow maybe for some better flow, but the way i see it, the risk isn't worth the gains. i've got a $12K motor i'm bolting this onto and i'd prefer that a piece of $0.10 epoxy didn't blow it all up...whether i'm right or wrong, i'll look at it as the head having more plenum to pull air from
Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Not for nothing but didn't a ton of people call the PRC Terminator heads a piece of
**** because of the port mismatch??? Thats a shame cause god knows how much
business Texas Speed lost because of this mismatch thing. So the whole time it was
Fast not designing their manifold right. I'm still amazed with all the little issues people still
buy the Fast. All that money for maybe 20 peak hp and so far up the rpm band at that.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
Not for nothing but didn't a ton of people call the PRC Terminator heads a piece of
**** because of the port mismatch??? Thats a shame cause god knows how much
business Texas Speed lost because of this mismatch thing. So the whole time it was
Fast not designing their manifold right. I'm still amazed with all the little issues people still
buy the Fast. All that money for maybe 20 peak hp and so far up the rpm band at that.
i wouldn't blame FAST, they're meant to bolt up to a stock LS1 port...this is on an aftermarket head casting that has been CNC'd to boot...
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

^^ thats true you have a point..But there are other heads that are mismatched as well.
I dont know if the other heads are stock ported heads or if the problem is only
related to aftermarket heads. Has anyone ever tested to see if the Fast lines up
perfectly to an LS1 head? And does our stock LS6 intake line up to both aftermarket and
stock heads. The results could be interesting. But as stated before its only the bottom
of the runner where there's little flow anyway. I am being alittle to judgemental about
Fast....but i still stand by the other issues and stuff about it.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Just as a comparison, this is a pic of my Patriots with a FAST 92.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

^ that looks pretty damn close. my old PRC 5.3's had some gap in them though, not as bad as the TFS's, but that's not exactly apples to apples....
Old 09-21-2008, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Omega
Just as a comparison, this is a pic of my Patriots with a FAST 92.

On man that lines up very nicely.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A modified factory casting will line up much better than the aftermarket heads. The FAST intake was built for the factory castings. The floor not lining up doesn't hurt anything.