Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Choices

I have an 02 Z28 A4 and I was thinking about a set of midlength headers with an ory and borla catback, if I don't do a true dual setup. I want good ground clearence and I have heard that long tubes will give me crap for ground clearence, so I think that I would rather have the midlength. Any sugestions on header and ory brand? Or what about a miglength, no cats, H-pipe, and magnaflow bullets, if I do the true dual setup. I want the car as loud as possiable with a deep clean sound. Any sugestions?

The car is stock for now but I want to get a set of Heads and a Cam before too long, I was thinking about an MS4 and some TrickFlow heads.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out ls1sounds.com. Should help a bit.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Just to give you a heads up, i did mid-lengths, ORYs, and a Borla cat-back w/o cats and got the dreaded rasp between 2-3k. One of the worst sounds on the planet. Most off the shelf ORYs air paths collide at too steep of an angle and creates the rasp. Looked into custom ORY setups which would get rid of it, but ended up just welding bullet mufflers in a section i cut out of the ORYs i had and took care of it. If fact, it was too quiet for me, and got rid of the cat-back and got some turn-downs right after the bullets and sounds nice. Again, this is without cats. If you keep them, no worries, if not, go straight for custom ORYs...or just TDs
Old 08-15-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

dont do mids long tubes sound better and make better power IMO also true duals if done right can give you decent ground clearence
Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Teching In

FYI, I also ended up going for the gold and getting the LTs too. Can't beat the sound of TDs with long tubes
Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you get decent headers, the ground clearance won't be too bad....I'm lowered 1.75" and the lowest part of my car is the Y pipe and the plastic front air dam.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
dont do mids long tubes sound better and make better power IMO also true duals if done right can give you decent ground clearence
yea i have LTs and true duals the sound beats anything by far
Old 08-16-2008, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

I had Mac's with their off road Y-pipe (with a Flowmaster merge welded in) and a Borla catback on my car. I had zero rasp problems. I went to QTP's with merge collectors and their dual cut-out y-pipe and kept the Borla, and on an 11 second car I only gained about 1mph and lost a bunch of clearance vs. the Mac's w/open Borla.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have pace headers and my y-pipe is also the lowest part of the car!
As far as catbacks are concerned the magnaflow sounds good but I am one of the many victims of this...https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/970725-magnaflow-can-you-help-me-out.html

Just to give you the heads up!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm actually made fun of by my friends because I'm up to about 13 different exhaust setups on my car. I've had every different setup that you can get on an f-body. For headers the Hooker super comp LT's are the way to go. Full length and are still higher off the ground then an aftermarket y-pipe. For routing there was nothing that sounded really good until I got true duals. The y-pipe set up always had a funny raping sound under normal driving conditions. Once y-pipe was gone it was beautiful. For mufflers I've had dynomax bullets, 1 series flows, 40 series flows (current setup...Awesome), Magnapacs, no mufflers at all and... i know I'm forgetting some. All of these setups were done with the y-pipe and after i had the true dual pipes ran. Like i said earlier everything sounded ok with the y, on the true duals I really liked every setup but for different reasons. I always kept going back to Flowmaster. Guess I'm kinda old school that way. The magnaflow was awesome but was a little to quiet for me and made my cam sound less choppy. The dynomax was a little to loud but sounded nice . like raw powerful-ness if that's a word. flowmaster just made my cam sound sexy as hell so that's what I have now
Old 08-17-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Go LT headers there isn't much difference in ground cleance between stock and the Pacesetter LT and ORY i have now. It tucks up there very nice.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Do Vettes have a dual setup? My nighbor just got an 02 Lingfelter with some headers no cats and borla, It gave me a woodie and goosebumps at the same time.