Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior noise with ARH headers/ catted Y?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior noise with ARH headers/ catted Y?

I'm thinking of getting ARH headers with a ARH catted Y. Are these relatively quiet cats like the Carsound cats? I have a nice sound install and don't want to ruin the music with too much exhaust noise.

Also, do stainless cats last forever? ...or do their inside eventually go bad like on stock cats?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have that setup with my Gmmg. It is fairly loud but not true duals loud. You won't have any problems listening to your music or having a conversation with someone imo.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have AR headers with an off road y-pipe and Magnaflow quad tip cat back. It's very quiet at cruising speed, and has a nice tone while accelerating. With cats it would be even quieter. I would have no worries about those cats. What cat back are you running?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for you input!

Originally Posted by Hardtop
I have AR headers with an off road y-pipe and Magnaflow quad tip cat back. It's very quiet at cruising speed, and has a nice tone while accelerating. With cats it would be even quieter. I would have no worries about those cats. What cat back are you running?
I'm running a Magnaflow catback like yours, except I don't have the quad tips.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:16 AM
12 Second Club

My set up is with ORY and the CME exhaust, its very loud at WOT but its not bad at all when you are crusing down the highway or driving under 3000rpm's, I hope this helps
Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ARH, Cats, Magnaflow. I have only had the setup on for a week so I'm not sure how much louder it will get, but the car inside only sounds like it has a catback. Can easily maintain a normal conversation or listen to the radio at a sane level.

-J
Old 08-16-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lastcall190
I have ARH, Cats, Magnaflow. I have only had the setup on for a week so I'm not sure how much louder it will get, but the car inside only sounds like it has a catback. Can easily maintain a normal conversation or listen to the radio at a sane level.

-J
Glad to hear that lastcall. As you know, I'm going to install a set of ARHs, ordering Monday, and I've picked up a little bit of normal gear noise with my Strange 12-bolt and 4.11s, so I'm glad to hear that the ARHs won't add to the equation.

It's funny how when you first get into the muscle/ hotrod car thing, you want to make a lot of noise, but after a few years you want to keep things relatively quiet. That's been my experience anyway.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

I hear ya... I put LTs/TDs dumped on the car right when I bought it, drove it for 20k miles like that while in school, loved it... After I put the cam in and started driving it to and from work on a daily basis... not so much. I'll just grab another one some day and make it an all out weekend warrior and not give a rats *** about noise Not to mention in NJ I don't feel like adding any unwarranted attention to the car...

-J
Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

A big thank-you to you all, that pretty much answers my question. Sounds like it's not going to deafen me. I don't mind some exhaust noise (I even like it), I just don't want to have a splitting headache everytime I take the car for a long drive. Well if the worst comes to it, I can always had a bullet muffler to mellow it out, but I think it will be fine as is.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by lastcall190
I hear ya... I put LTs/TDs dumped on the car right when I bought it, drove it for 20k miles like that while in school, loved it... After I put the cam in and started driving it to and from work on a daily basis... not so much. I'll just grab another one some day and make it an all out weekend warrior and not give a rats *** about noise Not to mention in NJ I don't feel like adding any unwarranted attention to the car...

-J
lol, when I first got my T/A, I got an SLP Loudmouth exhaust, and really enjoyed it. After I put in my cam, it was way too loud, but I still loved it. Then one day I got stopped for doing 50 in a 40mph zone, and also got slapped with a noisy off-road illegal exhaust citation. Ever since then, I've preferred a quieter setup. lol

I think Mass. is a lot like NJ, without all the Sopranno wanabees. Just kidding.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

with the catted y-pipe cabin noise should'nt be to bad. It all depends on the catback I personally like the dual dual. I had a GMMG on mine if you need any help give me shout
Old 08-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tom@ARH
with the catted y-pipe cabin noise should'nt be to bad. It all depends on the catback I personally like the dual dual. I had a GMMG on mine if you need any help give me shout
Hey Tom (and others),

I ordered a set of AR Headers this morning through LMP, and while driving home from work this afternoon I realized that my GMMG has a 3" exhaust. I believe the catted Y goes down to 2.75", right? Is there any way I can "modify" my order through ARH since it still needs to be made and shipped?

Can anyone confirm that my memory of the 3" inlet on the GMMG is correct?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

the y-pipe should fit right onto the gmmg unless you ordered a custom y-pipe. the gmmg is a standard 3" system but it tapers down in the front where it mounts to the Y-pipe. the idea here is so that all of the catbacks will fit the stock y-pipe.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pushead
Hey Tom (and others),

I ordered a set of AR Headers this morning through LMP, and while driving home from work this afternoon I realized that my GMMG has a 3" exhaust. I believe the catted Y goes down to 2.75", right? Is there any way I can "modify" my order through ARH since it still needs to be made and shipped?

Can anyone confirm that my memory of the 3" inlet on the GMMG is correct?
My American Racing headers/ y pipe bolted right up to my gmmg. You should have nothing to worry about.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Good to hear! I am ordering that setup next week.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

I have the ARH with catted Y ans Loudmouth2 on it. Inside its not bad at all while at highway speeds. When you hit the gas you do hear it real well though
Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cals400ex
the y-pipe should fit right onto the gmmg unless you ordered a custom y-pipe. the gmmg is a standard 3" system but it tapers down in the front where it mounts to the Y-pipe. the idea here is so that all of the catbacks will fit the stock y-pipe.
Originally Posted by JScamaro
My American Racing headers/ y pipe bolted right up to my gmmg. You should have nothing to worry about.
Great! Thanks gents.

JS how does it sound? Raspy at all?

Last edited by Pushead; 09-04-2008 at 02:10 PM.