Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I keep the AIR and EGR on my 1999 Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I keep the AIR and EGR on my 1999 Z28?

I'd tried the search and found a few threads but thought I'd ask again because I've read so many conflicting opinions.

I'm planning to get some headers with a catted Y, and I can't decide whether I should buy race headers or emission headers... in other words whether I should keep the AIR and EGR or not. Where I live, only the physical presence of cats is needed by law, but missing AIR or EGR is not a problem.

I'd like to remove them because it would make a cleaner engine bay & would take some weight off the car. But I've read some bad things about removing them, and I'd like some more opinions on these following points:

REASONS FOR KEEPING THE AIR:
- removing it will shorten the life of cats (though some people say it's only the case for stock cats, not aftermarket cats... are they right?)
- removing it will make the car really stink at start-up (I have an apartment just above my garage and don't want the old lady to come shouting at me every time I start the car!).

REASONS FOR KEEPING THE EGR:
- some people say that on a pre-2001 F-body with stock cam it's better to keep it because our cars are engineered that way (on 2001-02 cars there is a different cam to make up for the lack of EGR). Your opinion on that?
- some other people say that I can delete the EGR as long as I do a tune afterwards... Even with my stock 1999 cam?

I'd love to have your opinions on all this... so that I decide whether to get race or emission headers.

Also, would deleting the EGR affect in any way fuel economy?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

I got rid of them and I have absolutely no regrets. I'm ordering some AR headers without EGR and AIR fittings.

The engine compartment is cleaner, and it's easier to change plugs and work on the car. The AIR pump weighs a lot more than you'd think, so glad to drop that. I haven't noticed any changes to the way the engine performs, or gas mileage. As far as the cats lasting longer I don't really know or care actually; I keep them in case I get a visual inspection which I never do. The emissions inspection is by OBDII hookup, and my computer is edited to pass those emissions tests no matter what I do to my car.

If I was you, I wouldn't hesitate to get the race headers and delete EGR and AIR, assuming that inspections in Belgium are anything like the US, with the exception of Californication.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Predator
If I was you, I wouldn't hesitate to get the race headers and delete EGR and AIR, assuming that inspections in Belgium are anything like the US, with the exception of Californication.
Thanks for the advice. I will follow your advice and get race headers. I think California has got some of the strictest emission laws in the world, it's a lot easier over here in Europe.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mindreaper
Thanks for the advice. I will follow your advice and get race headers. I think California has got some of the strictest emission laws in the world, it's a lot easier over here in Europe.
You're welcome mindreaper. I remember years ago, probably 2002, when I removed my AIR and EGR, I had the same concerns as you. As I look back I can see clearly now that I had nothing to worry about. In the six years of driving since, there hasn't been a single issue or downside to removing them. It's just all upside. All good. You won't regret it.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AIR does nothing but put hot air into your manifold for cold starts, and the pump usually goes, mine physically broke on the output tube. + AIR doesn't have anything to do w/ the headers u want. EGR, you can buy EGR equipped headers and when you do a LS6 intake manifold or simillar setup you can buy tiny block off plates for the headers, or just go w/ the non egrs and delete it. You will need a tune when you take either out, but basically just to delete the codes that the pcm will throw. !EGR will loose you about .3 mpg and net you a cleaner engine bay and a MUCH happier&lil cooler top end of your LS1.

I say go for it but its all up to what you want to do w/ the car.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the off road headers with no AIR & EGR, deleted them & more room around the engine. Much cleaner look & easier to work on. If you dont have emmisions inspections to deal with, I say delete em!