Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question ARH Question

Fellas, I just ordered a set of ARHs from Nick. Nice guy BTW, and knows his stuff, but he said he could expand the end of his y-pipe so its a 3" outlet instead of 2 3/4", but I'd have to get my catback expanded to 3" also. He said there is a slight bottleneck there where the y-pipe connects to the catback. I decided to just have him keep the catted y-pipe at 2 3/4".

I was wondering how much power I might lose by not expanding both to 3"? Do you think I made a mistake? I could always expand them at a later date though. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My ARH y pipe merge is 3.5" which welds to my 3.5" Mufflex catback....

That was one reason I went with ARH... Nick was flexible and would fabricate whatever I needed....
Old 08-18-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ATLSS
My ARH y pipe merge is 3.5" which welds to my 3.5" Mufflex catback....

That was one reason I went with ARH... Nick was flexible and would fabricate whatever I needed....
I have a good feeling about these headers after talking to Nick. He's very confident about his products.

I didn't realize anyone went that big. Was it your idea to go so big?

But I was wondering if I'm losing much power by keeping the y-pipe compatible with my catback's stock dimension of 2 3/4"? I know it's going to somewhat interrupt the flow, but it's only a 1/4". Thanks.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1/4" won't make any real difference.... so if you already have the parts just roll with it...

I wanted to do something outside of the norm...

I use to have a 2nd gen Camaro... SBC... and to me, merging both sides into a single 2.75" pipe just seemed to be a choke to me.... so, I went with 3.5" and love it...

A friend of mine has a 4" merge... using the Flowmaster merge.... and 4" Mufflex catback...

He runs the exact same time at the track open exhaust or closed.... so if that answers your question.

I did not want my exhaust to be a restriction....
Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

1/4" won't make any real difference.... so if you already have the parts just roll with it...

I wanted to do something outside of the norm...

I use to have a 2nd gen Camaro... SBC... and to me, merging both sides into a single 2.75" pipe just seemed to be a choke to me.... so, I went with 3.5" and love it...

A friend of mine has a 4" merge... using the Flowmaster merge.... and 4" Mufflex catback...

He runs the exact same time at the track open exhaust or closed.... so if that answers your question.

I did not want my exhaust to be a restriction....
Thanks for the info, it sounds like it's working out for you.

So did you have Nick make your y-pipe with a 3.5" OD to match the outlet? I'm getting a mental picture that it's a 3" y-pipe exiting to a 3.5" outlet, then entering a 3.5" inlet to your catback and then narrowing to 3". Just curious.

Glad to hear that in my situation the 1/4" probably won't matter.

Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

every 1/4 '' matters
Old 08-18-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have what you are describing... It mated right up to my Magnaflow catback, and if I had it up to 3" I don't know if it would've attached as easily (the i-pipe just so happens to neck down barely at the end to accommodate said y-pipe). Nice choice you will love 'em when they arrive

Will it cost you some power 2-3/4" vs 3"? Maybe. Anything you will EVER feel? Doubt it.

-J
Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I hear ya LS1 Freak.

Originally Posted by lastcall190
I have what you are describing... It mated right up to my Magnaflow catback, and if I had it up to 3" I don't know if it would've attached as easily (the i-pipe just so happens to neck down barely at the end to accommodate said y-pipe). Nice choice you will love 'em when they arrive

Will it cost you some power 2-3/4" vs 3"? Maybe. Anything you will EVER feel? Doubt it.

-J
lastcall, that's why I decided to just stay with 2 3/4" because Nick said I would have to take my catback to an exhaust shop and have them enlarge the catback's inlet to 3".

Thanks, I'm really psyched about installing them. I know they'll be worth the two-week wait.

Just to add, you were instrumental in my deciding on ARHs, and I appreciate your help and leading me in the right direction. Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

NP. Don't be surprised if it's quicker than two weeks

Glad I could help, there were many others that persuaded me the same so I know how it is

-J
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcall190

-J
I personally don't buy **** to "feel" the difference. If it makes a hundredth of a second at the track then it's worth doing, to me anyways.

Jon
Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
I personally don't buy **** to "feel" the difference. If it makes a hundredth of a second at the track then it's worth doing, to me anyways.

Jon
I agree if you're racing you should do it, but for me, on the street, there are no time slips.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z

Jon
Fair enough
Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Predator
Thanks for the info, it sounds like it's working out for you.

So did you have Nick make your y-pipe with a 3.5" OD to match the outlet? I'm getting a mental picture that it's a 3" y-pipe exiting to a 3.5" outlet, then entering a 3.5" inlet to your catback and then narrowing to 3". Just curious.

Glad to hear that in my situation the 1/4" probably won't matter.

Thanks again.
Here's my post on the setup....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...acing+american

Enjoy
Old 08-19-2008, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Enjoy
Thanks for the link! I came across your your post during my research but didn't read it as carefully as I should have. Glad to see everything worked out.

I decided to get my WBO2 bung on the passenger side since all my LM-1 wiring goes through the firewall behind the PCM. I hope I didn't make a mistake since you seemed adamant about having it on the driver's side. I'm still not sure why unless the driver's side is known to run leaner.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Predator
Fellas, I just ordered a set of ARHs from Nick. Nice guy BTW, and knows his stuff, but he said he could expand the end of his y-pipe so its a 3" outlet instead of 2 3/4", but I'd have to get my catback expanded to 3" also. He said there is a slight bottleneck there where the y-pipe connects to the catback. I decided to just have him keep the catted y-pipe at 2 3/4".

I was wondering how much power I might lose by not expanding both to 3"? Do you think I made a mistake? I could always expand them at a later date though. Thanks.
Not much. I have the same setup, 2-3/4" and if fits real well with my Magnaflow catback. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Wink

Originally Posted by Hardtop
Not much. I have the same setup, 2-3/4" and if fits real well with my Magnaflow catback. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the reply Hardtop.

Just think though, you could have gone 12.57 instead of 12.58.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy
After seeing the pics of your Y-pipe a while back, I sent mine back to Nick @ ARH and had him make mine a 3.5" also. The price to modify it was reasonable, and the turnaround time was fast to boot!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

I had mine made with the 3" end. It was easy to expand the exhaust. I thought why have a 3" exhaust if you have a 2 3/4" restriction in the middle of the system. No rasp or anything. The car picked up a bunch and has not even been tuned. ARH makes some awesome stuff. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure the bigger y pipe would give even less clearance than you may have with your lowering springs since that's the lowest point on the car.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks fellas, anyone have any idea how much HP I'll pick-up switching the JBA shorties for ARHs, and adding a set of ported LS6 243 heads (sig) and 1.8 rockers? I already have the TR224 cam installed. Maybe 50hp?