Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing my first cat back

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing my first cat back

alright i bought a borla exhaust from another member on here, and will be installing it when it gets here. It will be my first catback install. I plan on using rhino ramps, but im pretty lost from there. Does anyone have any write ups on how to install a catback? Or online instructions? I know that this is a very basic job, and I can probably figure out how to do it myself, I just want to make sure that i do it right my first time. Also, I hear some people talk about welding when they install a cb. Is this suggested or necessary? Thanks for answering my stupid questions!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

i installed my hooker c/b with no welding, install is simple, just lay it out when you get, from there it is just like putting a puzzle together
Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

oh yeah, use band clamps they are best
Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Launching!

The ramps will be fine on the front wheels but you will want to use jacks in the back of your car. The reason for this is because you want your rear to hang lower so you have you more room to get the old exhaust out and the new one in.
The borla is a simple install. The part that will take the longest will be breaking all the old bolts loose. Be sure to use band clamps on the new set up. The only real installation change from stock to borla is the hangers for the tips on the borla...but you will see where to hang them when your under the car. Once under the car, it will make sense.
Also, it always helps to have an extra set of hands.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will want to take it somewhere later on and get the tips at least tack/spot welded or they will always slip and be crooked. If it had round tips it wouldn't mater so much. On my Borla catback, my passenger side stuck out like a half in farther than the drivers side and had to do a little cutting to make it look right. Not the easiest catback in the world to get looking right.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put some antiseize on the band clamp nuts and pipe/pipe connections just in case you ever want to get the thing apart again. Might save you some hassle down the road....
Old 08-20-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have a friend come over to lend a set of Hands/Eyes.

Grab WD-40,Liquid Wrench, or some kind of penetrant.

Spray every bolt and the hangars with penetrant. Let soak. You want the metal hangar portion to slide out of its rubber mount easily. Kind kind of like a drunk date and KY but in reverse order.

If you only prop up the rear make sure you block the front tires. If you jack the whole car use jackstands. Duhh, right?

A rubber mallet and a breaker bar might be your best friends.

Lay out the new setup up like a puzzle as suggested. I suggest sliding the band clamps on now. Once you get the old setup off you will now work and curse to get the new one lined up.

You may need to let the axle fully droop to get the pipe over it, it can be a tight fit. Spray the pipe ends with penetrant, it will make rotating the pipes easier when aligning. Don't worry, the stuff will dry out and burn off.

Once you have the new setup on and aligned fairly well, tighten the clamps and bolts enough to keep it in place but don't give it its final torque down.

Set the car back down on the ground and look at it with your friend. Take note if pipes hanging down, muffler and tips not squared up,etc.

Jack the car back up and make the adjustments. It can be a bitch getting it aligned so that all of the pipes look right and the tips are symetrical to each other. Once you are happy make the final torquing of bolts and take her for a spin.

Hopefully, nothing rubs or bangs when you hit a bump. Enjoy your new exhaust!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

what are band clamps, and where can i get them? does anyone know of a good walkthrough explaining how to do the install? i guess i should probably just try and get started and see what things are like.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

alright i figured out what they are. But what size clamps, and how many do i need to completely install my borla catback system on my 01 Z-28?
Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

measure the diameter of the pipes
Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

so other people that installed a borla adjustable, did you use 5 3" band clamps?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

alright, i know im being annoying as hell, but im doing the install tomorrow. anybody who installed a borla, can you help me out!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EJVYFZ
alright i bought a borla exhaust from another member on here, and will be installing it when it gets here. It will be my first catback install. I plan on using rhino ramps, but im pretty lost from there. Does anyone have any write ups on how to install a catback? Or online instructions? I know that this is a very basic job, and I can probably figure out how to do it myself, I just want to make sure that i do it right my first time. Also, I hear some people talk about welding when they install a cb. Is this suggested or necessary? Thanks for answering my stupid questions!!!
Just got my Borla catback on yesterday..I so love it.. You made the right choice..I have the adjustable one and mine has the wide open plate on it..Sounds incredible..Mine fit perfect,no problems at all..