Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Install

I am doing a Hooker Header install on my 00 Camaro and was looking for some feed back on installation. I already have the old exhaust out and the driver side header in. It practially went straight in. I have the car pretty jacked up and can probably get it up there a little higher. The passenger side hasn't been so fun, I only tried it for a few minutes and gave up last night. Like I said I can probably get the car some what higher which I am gonna try first before I start unbolting more stuff. Anyone get one of these in with out removing the starter? Also, my bigger question would be about all the emissions systems that were attached to the old manifolds. I know the passenger side had the air pump that goes into the manifold. I am removing that for sure. But what about the other two hoses that came from the manifolds? I seen the driver side looks like a vacuum hose. I bought the headers used and they already had them all capped off. Should I leave them like that or should I take the block offs off and run the systems. If I keep them blocked off on the header what do I need to do to block the actual system off as well. I can tune it if I need to and I am not worried about emissions or anything like that. Just want to know if anything else needs to get removed as well, obviously capped off at the least.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take off the trans crossmember and lower the rear of the trans a bit, will help a bunch!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what i always to is loosen my motor mounts and shift the engine to one side and they slide right in...
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Good tips, thanks guys. How easy is that motor mount bracket to get at? Any ideas with the emission stuff? What did you guys do with yours?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its really easy to access...well you need to get the egr blocks off plates for each side of the headers and cap it off, then you have the air system which you can remove from the front of the passenger head and then remove it from the intake manifold.get a 3/8 freeze plug from home depot and put it in the intake manifold and then be sure to block off the air valve thats on the passenger header,by the way i made all of my block off plates its really easy, then you know the hoses you removed well they connect to the the long hose the goes along the drivers side fender,and it goes under the fuse box into an air box. well you can cut that hose right before or under the fuse box and plug it off with a screw or something like that..i hope this makes sense..im not good at explaining things,if you need more help holla at me..
Old 08-28-2008, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
its really easy to access...well you need to get the egr blocks off plates for each side of the headers and cap it off, then you have the air system which you can remove from the front of the passenger head and then remove it from the intake manifold.get a 3/8 freeze plug from home depot and put it in the intake manifold and then be sure to block off the air valve thats on the passenger header,by the way i made all of my block off plates its really easy, then you know the hoses you removed well they connect to the the long hose the goes along the drivers side fender,and it goes under the fuse box into an air box. well you can cut that hose right before or under the fuse box and plug it off with a screw or something like that..i hope this makes sense..im not good at explaining things,if you need more help holla at me..

Be aware that if you use block offs on the emission tubes of the Hooker Headers, you run the risk of blowing the tubes out due to heat and failed welds. Trust me I know from experience!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Just to let everyone know I did get that header in on the passenger side and I did it with out taking anything else off. I didn't even have to loosent he trans or motor mount. I tried to fit it in again at the same height as before and failed, but before I started taking more stuff off I said let's get it up a few inches higher. Should have taken a picture with it that high in the air but my camera was out of batteries. I never did slip right in and it took some finesse but it went in pretty easy once it was high enough. The hard part was getting the emissions tube past the control arm once I got it past that I knew it was going in. Another problem was starting the bolts with out the header falling out of place. I stuck the jack underneath the header to keep it in place while I got a few bolts started. I brought it back down to ground level and I'll probably try and get all the bolts in and the y pipe up tonight. Can't wait to fire it up but I know their is still a good amount of work to do.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on getting that in.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey man just rip all that egr **** out...lol if you dont want it just un bolt it and cut the hoses and remove and the air pump...just open that fuse box and remove the relay
Old 09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Finally started it!!! Wires were a bitch to get on a few plugs as were a few header bolts. Mainly the passenger side back ones bolt and wire but the hardest one to get on was the second wire on the drivers side. The header pipe was in the way and I couldn't get it to click on the plug for the life of me. Not to mention it is like two milimeters away from the header. I don't think it's gonna last but I got my fingers crossed and a little metal screen piece over it for some help. Now I need to find someone who will weld my cut out in the Chicagoland area. Anyone know anybody?