Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header to spark plug clearance issues

Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Header to spark plug clearance issues

My swap headers are touching the spark plug wires on 4 of my plugs, the wires are random stock replacements from Parts Plus

Does anyone make plugs with 45 or 90 degree boots on the plug ends? I can't seem to find any. The msd wires are described as "multi angle" but look the same as stock.

Its just the rubber boot that touches, anyone else have experience if maybe this won't even be an issue once the rubber melts away in those areas?

Clearance with these headers is something to be desired it seems...#3 plug couldn't be tightened with a standard socket, plug socket, or offset wrenches

I had to buy a cheap socket with a hex head, drill it so the plug could come all the way through, shorten it so it would go onto the plug, and tighten it with a wrench on the end of the socket...all because they couldn't extend that tube an extra 1/8-1/4" plenty of room there too
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had spark plug access problems before on other engnes. In that case I ground clearance into the flange of the header. Special tools are OK, but if you're ever stuck out in the middle of nowhere and need to service the plugs, you better have your tools with you.

I also had the same issues with my headers. I replaced the stock wires with MSD wires. The boot diameter on the MSD wires is much smaller than the OE boots. Also, you can bend the terminals / boots on the MSD wires wherever you want them to go. I used them successfully, and I put some fiberglass fire sleeve over the boots. I figure I'm good for the long haul with that setup.

Give the MSD wires a try.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

the socket will be put in the console with my wheel lock key/socket

thanks for the info on the wires!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MSD 8.5 are flexible....try those

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Header to spark plug clearance issues