Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long storage

Hey guys,
Well it looks like I'm going to be moving to Alaska. I'm going to be living there about 4 to 5 years. Anyway I can only bring one vehicle and I think the my TA is not going to be going. Anyway. I'm planning on keeping it at my Dads garage while I'm gone. It's not heated and it gets cold up in WI. I'm sure he'll start it every now and then but I'm not sure how often. Anyway you guys got any ideas as to what I should do before I leave. I don't want to come back to it will all sorts of problems. I was thinking about jacking it up off the ground a little and putting vasoline on all the weatherstripping and hoses and of course disconnecting the battery. You guys got any other ideas?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

um fuel stabilizer, disconnecting the battery like you said and gettin it out once in a while. im sure if you tell your dad to make sure it doesnt sit too much he wont let it, i know my dad would have no problem getting mine out once in a while. i would get something to prevent critters from getting in there and making a home, moth ***** etc. they make a lot of stuff for that. im sure some other guys will chime in before too long.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would see about doing a a complete detailing of the car, spray or wipe Silcone on all rubber parts.

Flush and change all of the fluids, use a non-detergent or Synthetic oil (unless your Father will have it change for you every once in a while).

Fresh Anti-freeze in the cooling system. A good Car Cover.

With all of the news about aging tires.. you should consider new ones once you put it back into services..

Just a few things.. others might have some advice for you also. good luck.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys some good advice. My wife wants me to sell it. Yeah like that will happen. These cars are getting harder to find that aren't beat and the price for them keeps going up. But I'm sure you all know that.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/416584-things-do-before-storing-your-vehicle.html