Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Ram Air Mod!! Do you actually gain from it??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Free Ram Air Mod!! Do you actually gain from it??

I was thinking about the doing the free ram air mod, but then I got to thinking about the way my forced induction works. The air that gets forced into my intake via my hoodscoop gets compressed due to the size difference from where the air enters the bottom of the intake to where it exits the lid. If I make this opening larger then I will not get the compression of the air. On a dyno, the numbers may seem significant, but when I am going at speed I'm concerned that the forced air going into the intake will be lost in the whole that is cut in the bottom of the intake shroud. What are your comments on this??
Old 09-04-2003, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Free Ram Air Mod!! Do you actually gain from it??

Ram Air is a myth unless you're breaking the sound barrier. No car can experience Ram Air as you're concerned with. It's a marketing ploy.

Due the free ram air mod, it won't hurt you.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

GM sure pulled the wool over the general public's eyes with the whole Ram Air crap. They even use that ploy on the Grand Am.

Levi (Cannibal) is right.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

...I'd like to add that the General should've done some real marketing. Maybe I'd be driving a '03 WS6 right now.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Technically RAM AIR does work but (in certain applications) at _best_ you'll experience 1-3% increase in power at high speed(80+MPH).Ram Air has been proven effective in several newer motorcycles (GSXR,RC51,Hayabusa,ZX12R,etc)

I have seen no technical data on the efficiency of the ram air effect on the F-Bodies.I cannot say if it is infact properly functioning.As shown by the previous posts popular opinion is that it is ineffective on the F-Bodies.

My opinion as far as these cars are concerned is:you would probably be best off getting as much cool air as possible into the engine and not concern yourself with a possible ramming effect.Do the FRA I did.

UNIT213: I couldn't agree with you more. I think ALOT of people would be driving '03's if GM didn't **** on the F-Bodies when it came to Marketing.
The WS6 commercials were pretty cool but I never saw them before 11pm and only on a couple of channels at best.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

They had a commercial?????????????
Old 09-05-2003, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

absolutely its worth doing. i felt a noticeable increase in throttle response at all speeds from doing it. i wouldnt neccesarily say the car felt faster but it was definently more responsive.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Trans Am Commercial Video
Old 09-05-2003, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it, I felt a difference. I did all the free mods at the same time (Free Ram Air, EGR and TB bypsass). Even with my wife in the car right away she said she could feel a difference.

Old 09-05-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trans Am Commercial Video
None of those links worked on that site. I have seen all the commercials but never on tv. I have only seen them on the internet.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Same here, I only saw them on the net. I got a good question though, what about the camaro? I have never seen a camaro commercial ever. Well, there was that one of a camaro burning out saying "we'll be there", but that was almost a year after the camaro was officialy canceled. GM is dumb, I asked a dealership owner why there were Impala and Malibu commercials and not any Camaro commercials, and his answer was. "Everyone knows about the Camaro already, If someone wants one they will come and get it." Here is what they should have done to set the record straight, show a 2002 Camaro SS pitted against a 2002 GT an a 2002 Cobra, this will show how much better the SS out performs the "Super" stang in all aspects, if I'm am not mistaken it does. There are so so so many people who think their stock GT and their stock Cobra (non-2003-2004) is faster. GM is dumb when I told people I was getting a WS6 or an SS they were like what is that? Is that some ricer car. Way to go GM "everyone already knows about the Camaro" Having that said, do the Free ram air mod it is great, and if you have a washable filter you will have no problems. You WILL feel the power.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do it, you will notice a difference. The only downside is that you will have to change/clean your air filter more often.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ram air no but it is cool air which will provide a differance
my .02
Old 09-06-2003, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Let me set the record straight on ram air.
SS= The ram air on the SS is almost as non functional as the scoop on a GT stang. It is there for looks and if I must say, it does look very good. The SS scoop becomes somewhat functional at around 120mph, but at that speed you can't really feel the extra 2-4hp. Get the Ultra Z hod, that is a true unobstructed ram air system.
WS6=A hell of alot more functional then the SS hood. It will start somewhat working at around 80mph. However this gain is so small that it will finish the 1/4 mile at a slightly higher speed, but not a quicker ET then a regular Trans Am without the WS6 package. If I am not mistaken, the WS6 and the Trans Am will pass the traps at relativly the same time(IF THE TRANS AM HAS AFTER MARKET EXHAUST).
Old 09-07-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the 2 baffles in a WS6 hood and you have fresh air going straight into the filter.