Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Mod

Ok guys im thinking of doing my first mod in the near future. I have a lid and cat back now. But Im think that the best bang for the buck is going to be a cam. Im thinking the one from texas speed the magic stick 4. I know I don't have a full exh. yet but they are sayin 80 hp on a stock 2001 LS. Of course i don't have a stall either if I do this is my car going to be very street able anymore?? Hell I don't know they make to much stuff for these cars to choose maybe I'll just get a stall? Any opinions? Oh yeah I would like to add that I do Love the sound of a cammmed LS so maybe thats why Im leaning that way...Oh yeah I have a cutout but i don't think it is doing any good with the cats still on..
Old 09-08-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do a stall/headers/ypipe first then cam it.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

theres so much wrong with this situation, where do i begin?

definately do not do an MS4 before you have anything else. you wont see anything close to 80hp gains if you are not breathing good. yours is a 98, so no ls6 intake. you might want to look into that or a FAST if you got $$$$ and y pipe/headers as conan said. once you get the car breathing right, you could get the cam, but make sure its with the whole package from TSP, not just a cam. also, make sure youll need a stall, which means you want that stall to match your cam. you can DD an MS4, most people will tell you not too though. BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF ABOUT HOW MUCH TIME THIS CAR WILL SEE ON THE TRACK. theres no need for a huge cam like the MS4 if youll see the track once a month or soemthing like that. peak rwhp #s dont mean that much either. i know a guy with an A4 z28 with an MS4 and it dies randomly all the time. if you want the choppy idle, hell, you could have a 224 cam on a 110LSA. the LSA is 90% of that lopeyness you want. you dont need big duration/lift for that. i recommned when you are ready for a cam, call TSP and talk to them about YOUR situation. theres no hurry for the big power cam when you really will but suffocating it.

wheres your cutout located?
Old 09-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

theres so much wrong with this situation, where do i begin?
Yeah you are right and i know it I guess i was just gettin wrapped up in the advertising. Thanks.. for helpin me pulled my head out for some air.. Maybe I will look into some of those 224 cams. I see alot of people on here using them. My cutout is a single one about 2 feet in front of the rear end
Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Do not even consider a cam until your car is setup for it. First of all, you do not wanna cam a car with the stock stall. However, when you go to pick your stall out, you will wanna match it up with whatever cam you are choosing. Secondly, go ahead and complete the bolt on mods, because while they may not give you a whole lotta gains right now, they will really pave the way for a cam to really shine. Dont get ahead of yourself. Decide what you wanna do with the car. Start small. Buy smart. Read read read!!!!!! This is a great site. Spend a few months in the external section doing all your research on the bolt on mods....how and where they will help you, and how they prepare your car for future mods. Good luck buddy
Old 09-08-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
what he said!..dont forget the LS6 intake or the FAST! maybe the Weiand intake will be out when youre ready!

A cam needs a lot of research...good luck! 228/230 cams are nice
Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 72 Z-28
Yeah you are right and i know it I guess i was just gettin wrapped up in the advertising. Thanks.. for helpin me pulled my head out for some air.. Maybe I will look into some of those 224 cams. I see alot of people on here using them. My cutout is a single one about 2 feet in front of the rear end
sorry if i came off rude, i was just trying to get the point across. but i still would not pick the 224 cams without talking to someone. call TSP and they will talk you through it. but thats later on. right now get all the boltons that will set up your cam (Heads if you do that too) to really shine later on. id love to be of real help so if you wouldnt mind...
-is it a DD, weekend warrior, or a track fiend? could be a mix?
-immeadiate goals (below)
-----dyno #s- dont get too caught up in them as every dyno is different and dynos are just a tool. they do mean something though.
-----track times- looking for 12s, 11s? these will require different set ups.
-future goals- where are you going with the car years from now? maybe setup your car for that rather than immeadiate goals.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

invest in some traction...no point in a cam if you can't put the new power to the asphalt
Old 09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silver30th
invest in some traction...no point in a cam if you can't put the new power to the asphalt
+1
Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Its a daily driver for now it gets the best mpgs out of everything that i have..
I think that I will just look at some headers and a intake..I would like to take it to the track some in the future...Kinda leaning towards the pacesetters as far as that goes..I would love to have the fast but DAM!! That thing is pricey.. Is it really that much better than the LS6 manifold?? As far as the guy talking about hooking up..That is something I need to consider to and have been..My cars got 112xxx on it and some bushing issues and things. It is a little floaty over bumps so I think some shocks are in the near future..Would like to put some 50/50 shocks on the back..It is a street car what would you guys put on the front 60/40's maybe 70/30's.....Anyway this is the engine forum..WSsick you didn't come off rude..Hell haveing to big of a cam was y the engine in my 72 got junked Makes me sick..
Old 09-08-2008, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

damn thats a shame. headers/stall/ and an ls6 intake would be great for you to start. nitto 555s arent the best for hooking up, but they also are they best in the rain from what ive heard. if you want all out sticky and arent scared of breaking the 10 bolt, MTs are the tire for you.

suspension, well, im lost when it comes to that. lol. NOOB on suspension=me!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by conan
yeah that large of a cam wouldnt work all that well with the stock converter
Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Go Longtubes, LS6 intake, ported TB, gears and a stall but you need some traction mods too