Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing plugs..

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing plugs..

Just finished changing my plugs. My arms look like I got into a fight with a wolverine.

Got them done though.

It's actually not as bad as they say. Driver's side was cake, and the only thing I had to move on the pass. side was the AIR tube off the exhaust manifold, and push it up out of the way. I started to unbolt the coil rail, but couldn't get to the last bolt, so I left it in place.

I got 2,4,6 from the top, by kneeling on the battery and balancing myself with one hand on the intake.

Number 8 was actually pretty easy, I had a harder time with #6. For 8, I went from the bottom, I'm running stock manifolds and cats, so I had just enough room to get my arm up there. One of the few times I've been thankful for my girl-ish hands and forarms, lol. Hardest part was getting the plug wire off.

Anyway, I'm glad THAT'S over. I've been putting it off for a long time. I got a little intimidated by it, but people make it seem worse than it actually is.

Ok, enough patting myself on the back.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

Changing plugs on a F-Body sucks!! My arms won't fit in area to get to the plugs so I have to get my brother in law swap them for me.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not as bad some make it out to be. I read a thread the other day about it taking someone 8 hours to get it done Last time i pulled my engine it only took 4 hours. So if your mechanicly inclined dont be as intimidated as some make it to be. My arms are cut to hell when i get done too. It usualy takes me about 45min to get them all changed, not to bad of a job. Also next time you pull the plug wires off you can put alittle dielectric grease on the spark plug top this will help the removal in the future.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

My ARH long tubes make it so much easier
Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conan
Also next time you pull the plug wires off you can put alittle dielectric grease on the spark plug top this will help the removal in the future.
Yup, did that and used anti-sieze on the plugs. Next time should take half the time now that I know how to do it.

Took about 45 min for the driver's side working slow, and about 3 hours for the pass side, and that was with a few breaks. I wasted alot of time messing with the coil rail bolts, I ended up just leaving it where it was.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

practice will make perfect, if i hustle I can do a swap in around 30min all from the top leaving the coil packs on. headers help a lot
Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Mac Mids + Plug Change = PITA and tore up arms, too. I took the pass coil bracket off and never put the back bolt back in.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

arh plus anti seize and lube up the boots means I have no probs.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by c4boom
arh plus anti seize and lube up the boots means I have no probs.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=StuntmanMike;10102948]Yup, did that and used anti-sieze on the plugs.

good choice on the anti seize. I use it every where steel is touching aluminum.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

I (kinda) did mine for the first time today too. I knew the pass. side was the hardest so i started on #8 then worked my way forward (get it out of the way). I got the pass. side done but ran out of light so I'll have to do the driver's side tomorrow.
Removed the AIR tube. I fought and cussed to the #8 plug for a long time trying from up top and below, guess my hands/arms are too big. Finally I removed the #6 coil pack (it's a 98) and got it. Broke a cheapo chinese 3/8" swivel extension at the same time the #8 plug broke loose! haha. Good thing it was free and I had my craftsman one on hand to keep swivelin.
I ended up kneeling on the battery like I read from some others here and install university for 6 and 8. After I got cyl 8 done, 6,4,2 went quick. Hopefully the driver's side will be easy tomorrow. I also put on MSD plug wires since I had them laying around. They don't have a reassuring "click" on the plugs which worries me because i don't want to remove crap to get to the back cyls again, but it didn't seem to be missing on any cylinders when I fired it up after getting the passenger side done.
My hands and arms look like I tried to attack edward scissorhands too.
I put anti-sieze on but couldn't find the dielectric grease so I may have to do that later.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

all those little bolts that hold the coil rack on ... i took most of them bolts off and have 2 or 3 bolts holding them on on each side. they aint going nowhere.