Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help fast with Grotys

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 06:19 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help fast with Grotys

I will be driving 150 miles or so tommrow morning (Sun. 9/7) to check out a set of original Grotyohann headers. I know the general shape of the headers and all the new spin offs, but how do I know that I`m getting original Groty headers. Are they stamped with the Grot name or is there any other way to tell them apart from others besides the shape of them. Now don`t get me wrong, if I show up there and they are QTP stainless headers I will be getting a awsom deal. First of all they are coated and not stainless so I know that is one sighn that they may be Grotys but how many headers are coated now days. One more thing is how do I know that they are made for the 2001-2002 F-bodies and not 2000 or lower? The seller said that he had them on his 99 but he got them off someone who had them on a 2001. I really need to get some feed back on this fellas gotta head out to look at them early tommrow. Thaks for any help guys.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Re: Need help fast with Grotys

There aren't any marks on the headers themselves which identify them as Grotyohann's. Grot was just a reseller anyway.

The earlier models had a flat flange at the end of the collectors, and later models had a ball'n'socket flange where it mates to the y-pipe. The collector is a 4-into-1 without a reducer. He typically used Airborn for his coatings.

The 2001 model wouldn't have the EGR pipe on the passenger side primary tube. Of course, the headers were always available w/o emissions bungs if the original owner requested it.

Sorry I can't be of more help...
Old 09-06-2003, 08:28 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Will the 1999 or 2000 model still fit my car if I used a EGR block off on the header. They seem to be constructed the same shape to me. So what Jim was telling me is that the 2001-2002 is identifide by the lack of the EGR hook up, but still has the two AIR system hook ups on each header.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Sure. The 2001+ headers were just made without the EGR bung because those engines came without the EGR accessories.

- If you still have the EGR equipment active on your engine, but the primary tube doesn't have the EGR bung, then you'll need to decide whether or not to keep EGR. To keep EGR, you'll need to have a bung welded on. To remove it, it's easiest to install the LS6 intake, pull off the EGR pump, and turn off the EGR codes in the PCM.

If the headers have all emissions fittings missing (EGR & AIR) you'll need to make a similar decision regarding the AIR equipment, although you wouldn't need to add additional equipment - but still need to have codes removed.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:37 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

He is selling the Grotts with a H-pipe without cats. I live in Houston TX and thats a definite emission failure, but there are ways to pass emissions legally. I have Auto Tap and can turn off codes and anyones for free as long as they come to me on my own time in Houston. Thanks for your help again.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

He is selling the Grotts with a H-pipe without cats. I live in Houston TX and thats a definite emission failure, but there are ways to pass emissions legally. I have Auto Tap and can turn off codes and anyones for free as long as they come to me on my own time in Houston. Thanks for your help again.
His name wouldn't happen to be Chris would it? His sn is something like ssponyeaterxx.
He's a preety good guy and I do recall hime having a set of grotts and a G5 cam in a mean sounding nbm ss with a primer cowl hood. Chris and a fellow by the name of J.J had a business going (Ls1 Solutions) They installed like 70-80+ cams. I have done a few transactions with those guys and they are straight shooters. I saw the car that those grotts and H-pipe duals were in run something like a 11.3 at a not so great track in Temple/Academy.

Anways good luck to you I know that I read Chris was selling similiar items to the ones mentioned above.

Gilbert
Old 09-07-2003, 12:45 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

I think we are talking of the same Chris a real stand up guy on the phone. I`m not trying to say he`s riping me off I actually would pay to have the headers shiped to me, but Chris said they are not show car quality and I would like to see them befor I buy them. Thats why I will drive out there and know that Chris has what he says, but can you blame me for questioning the headers. From talkig to Chris I can tell he`s a real buisness man and can be respected as that. And also he likes to party.LOL. I just hope he lets me pay him and leave, because if he offers me a beer I`m staying the night. LOL
Old 09-07-2003, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want cat's the PPC headers are Grot's. Same company makes them still and they are sold through Thunder and PPC.