Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too stock, help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too stock, help...

right now i have a stock 99 z28, what mods should i do next, how much RWHP does a stock 99 ls1 have, i would like to achieve a good amount of rwhp without putting a hole through my pockets, help please.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

Well the first step should always be LT headers, ORY, Catback. That will gain you a good 30rwhp right there. A lid is also a cheap buy that you can get at a good used price.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

how about true duals, with pacesetter LT's and also, is anything else required with the LT's or can they bolt in stock exhaust.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

do it right the first time, get poly motor mounts, v-clamps, custom ory, and pacesetters, with or without cutout, into true duals or catback.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, everyone has allready forgot the cheapest mod for your car.

You need to buy a used LS6 intake, you will get around 335-350 RWHP with full exhaust, tune and LS6 intake.

You can buy them off the forum for cheap (300 - 350)

Then use the search button, b/c this topic has been kicked around by 1000s of people!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BBADWS6
You need to buy a used LS6 intake, you will get around 335-350 RWHP with full exhaust, tune and LS6 intake.

Then use the search button, b/c this topic has been kicked around by 1000s of people!
What he said. I would intake and a GOOD full exhaust like KOOKS. A tune is very important as well to get the most of out your new mods.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

The "Mod Guide: Induction and Exhuast" sticky at the top has a lot of good info:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/520845-mod-guide-induction-exhaust-please-read-before-posting.html
Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Don't forget suspension stuff too, like SFCs, shocks, LCAs, PHR.

If I was to pick just one suspension mod it would be SFCs. It has made the most difference as far as tightening up the car and improving handling. It also helps keep away squeaks and rattles.

The other stuff: Lid, LS6 intake, headers, catback, cam and heads. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

true duals vs. ory is up to you. i chose TD's and i dont regret it, but it's one of those things that is HARD to get done right but once you do, it's worth it. check out installuniversity.com. they have good how-to's and a list of free mods you can do. lid, ls6 intake, full exhaust, free mods and a tune are a good good starting point.

also, look into a short throw shifter. pro 5.0's are good and MGW just cam out with one for our cars that looks good too.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

first off the lid is the easiest and cheapest mod, then the lt's, full exhaust, ls6 intake, ported stock tb and maf, and smoothe bellow to clean it up a little. you should be happy with just that.. but if you want more you can always do heads and cam but that can put a whole in the pockets..
Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Definately use the search button to map out a plan for where you want to go.

I would start with Free mods, then lid, ram air system, LS6 intake manifold, underdrive pulleys. Then take time and research what you want to do as far as exhaust.

Find out how bad emissions and inspection are in your state, if you can run long tubes(will bolt on), coated or stainless with a catted y, ory, or true duals. Stuff like that.

Like I said search button and do everything right(your preference) the first time. Will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbadss
first off the lid is the easiest and cheapest mod, then the lt's, full exhaust, ls6 intake, ported stock tb and maf, and smoothe bellow to clean it up a little. you should be happy with just that.. but if you want more you can always do heads and cam but that can put a whole in the pockets..
i would start off the same way if i was stock. just all that alone will net you 350rwhp +/-.

but you have two sides of the coin to deal with:
engine or suspension.

fbody ls1 cars already make a lot of power. enough power that i think suspension would and should be the first mod. if i could start over, i would start with suspension.
lca, phb, springs, shocks, sfc, stb, adjustable torque arm, rims/tires and last but not least the mighty 12 bolt or 9 inch.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

how much more power will i gain from an ORY as opposed to catted Y,
suspension is important, i think im going to start with subframe connectors, then LT headers and maybe catted Y because new york doesnt pass with no cats.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ericburt
how much more power will i gain from an ORY as opposed to catted Y,
suspension is important, i think im going to start with subframe connectors, then LT headers and maybe catted Y because new york doesnt pass with no cats.
the gains will be minimal, and rasp will be cutdown with cats! your idea of true duals was a good one tho! you will yield more power with TDs as well