Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coating SS Long tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Coating SS Long tubes?

Did a search on here and people seem to be split on this. I know long tubes will increase under hood temps, Just wondering if coating the QTP longtubes I have waiting to go on my car will make a significant difference in under hood temps while driving. Maybe someone has had experience with stainless, then went to coated stainless?
Any info is appreciated.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have direct experience (yet), but the next set of headers I put on this car will be Kooks 1-7/8" headers, and they will be ceramic coated this time around. I'm really after a better appearance, but I'm also hoping to reduce the temps and keep the heat in the exhaust stream where it belongs.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish someone would take a temp gun and do a simple comparison on fbody's with coated SS and uncoated SS headers. Until that is done I will not coat a SS header.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do want to coat them. A lot of people around here equate coating to corrosion prevention...when the real benifit is the reduced underhood temps. Here is something I wrote up a while back on another board.

We have a great sale posted here for free coating on Kooks-
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/854477-spring-thaw-header-sale-save-kooks-w-free-coating-pacesetter-more.html

Cast iron is a great insulator. Your stock manifolds do a pretty decent job of keeping exhaust heat inside and not letting it in the engine bay. Stainless steel on the otherhand is much thinner and simply leaches heat in the engine bay. The analogy I use is that an uncoated header is like a garden hose with a million tiny holes in it. Because the hose disipates water through all the tiny holes, the end result is that water comes out the end of the hose slower. An uncoated header is is the same way. Heat leaches out the entire length of the primary, and the end result is that exhaust is less pressurized, and velocity to the collector is slower. This is a bad thing because you want heat, and exhaust to leave the engine as fast as possible. Also, the quicker exhaust gas leaves the cylinder head, the quicker new air can replace it. If you coat a header, it seals all the "holes" that exhaust gas "leaks" out (going back to the hose analogy). With no where to go, the hot exhaust gasses become highly pressurized and leaves the engine much faster. As it leaves, it creates a vacum effect that pulls the next pulse of air into the cylinder header, which will actually makes your engine breath much easier.

Now you understand why I chuckle when someone says there is no need to coat a stainless header because it will not rust. Coating has performance gains that IMO take precedence over any corrosion/looks advantage. I am personally a firm believer in coating, and run it on every car with headers we have owned. One thing to note is that if you plan on FI, or Nitrous, you are much better off selecting Jet Hot Extreme Sterling, Jet Hot 2000, or PM-FL 2000 degree coating. Jet Hot 1300 will live fine on most nitrous, and supercharged cars..there is always the possiblity. I have sold hundreds (maybe thousands) of coated headers, and have only had three customers have a waranty claim on the 1300 coating. One guy had a shitty leaned out tune (which will ruin any coating), and the other two were supercharged, and running pulleys. Now that Extreme Sterling is out, Jet Hot recommends the Extreme Sterling for FI, and nitrous apps.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
You do want to coat them. A lot of people around here equate coating to corrosion prevention...when the real benifit is the reduced underhood temps. Here is something I wrote up a while back on another board.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854477
The reason I didn't pursue coating for my ARHs was because I was afraid that the coating would eventually flake off leaving messy looking headers, like what happened with my JBAs.

Did I just get a poor coating job with the JBAs, or is it normal for the coating to flake off? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Likely a poor coating job. I am willing to bet the JBA's were coated outside only. The Kooks we sell are coated inside and out...which is kinda like double bagging it. The inside coating stops the outside coating from ever reaching a temp it would fail at. Also, most standard coatings are single layer, meaning they are silver power and cermaic mixed, and then polished. With the extreme sterling, they use a high temp base coat, and then cover it with another layer of silver coating. So basically, the silver coating finish is much more durable because it is not actually doing the cooling work. I have never had a warranty claim on an extreme sterling coated Kooks header.

Originally Posted by Predator
The reason I didn't pursue coating for my ARHs was because I was afraid that the coating would eventually flake off leaving messy looking headers, like what happened with my JBAs.

Did I just get a poor coating job with the JBAs, or is it normal for the coating to flake off? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854477
I still would like a test. I wonder why Jet Hot does not show any comparisons between coated and uncoated SS. The only thing that I can find is that Thermal Conductivity is about 1/3rd less between mild steel and SS.
Attached Thumbnails Coating SS Long tubes?-metal.gif  
Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Likely a poor coating job. I am willing to bet the JBA's were coated outside only. The Kooks we sell are coated inside and out...which is kinda like double bagging it. The inside coating stops the outside coating from ever reaching a temp it would fail at. Also, most standard coatings are single layer, meaning they are silver power and cermaic mixed, and then polished. With the extreme sterling, they use a high temp base coat, and then cover it with another layer of silver coating. So basically, the silver coating finish is much more durable because it is not actually doing the cooling work. I have never had a warranty claim on an extreme sterling coated Kooks header.
Thankyou for the info, I appreciate it!

Yes, the JBAs were just coated on the outside.

Your explanation makes a lot of sense, and I'd be willing to get future header purchases extreme sterling coated. Thanks again!