Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch whine driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High pitch whine driving me crazy

My car has been making this high pitched whine every now and then. Its only when at idle, or when im coasting with the clutch in. If i give it some gas it goes away. All i can think of to compare it to would be the sound of brakes squealing when they need to be changed.

I was told that it sounded like it could be the air pump, but its long gone. I've sprayed lubricant on all the pulleys and the noise never changed at all.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know where the sound is comming from? I used to get that too, and my dad said it might be either throwout bearing, or the rear pinion gear.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

i get a weird whine when i add light throttle, no idea what it is. could it be a ported tb?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

It took me a bit to narrow it down, turned out to be the GF
Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

tb shouldn't whine, considering nothing is actually spinning. Or is it just air sucking in sound. Cuz ****, my intake sounds like that sometimes, if at a low roll, and hit the throttle just right.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bdrussell
It took me a bit to narrow it down, turned out to be the GF
bwahahahahaha.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
tb shouldn't whine, considering nothing is actually spinning. Or is it just air sucking in sound. Cuz ****, my intake sounds like that sometimes, if at a low roll, and hit the throttle just right.
could be the intake. its just an interesting sound, doesn't really bother me too much. has a nice interesting whistle at 5500 rpms too, haha.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Launching!

I have a similar sound going on. I'm convinced its something in the fans. Maybe a bearing or something
Old 09-25-2008, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

5500 rpms? Hmm...no idea then. I think pinion gear or throwout bearing still lol. Its hard to tell without listening to it in person. Its an ls1 though...they are supposed to make noises that we don't know the origin of.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not pinion or throwout bearing. It only does it when sitting still at idle, or when coasting and the rpms are near idle.

It can't be the fans because as soon as i give it any gas it goes away. Its definetly something engine related.

It also did it both before and after i put on my ported TB.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Does it do it on warm up, or always at idel? I mean...even driving like 45 minutes, it still does it? I was thinking AIR...but if while coasting, after warm up, then it wouldn't be that. Alternator? Someone posted ealier about whining noise coming from the engine...but theirs got louder as the RPMs climbed. This is odd.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does it more often when the car is already at operating temp. AIR is long gone already. I'm pretty sure its not a pulley either, since i lubed them all up and the noise never changed at all.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your power steering level at full?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
Your power steering level at full?
yeah.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car does it too, I was hoping it was the serpentine belt, that one had about 40K miles on it, but I changed it this weekend it's still making that noise.

It does it a lot when it's cold, kinda goes away when it warms up, and it only does it at idle...

Maybe it's the other fanbelt, I have never changed that one so that's got 76K miles on it...

How do I know I need power steering fluid? I take off the ps reservoir and there is not dipstick of any kind, so how would I know I need fluid?

RE: AIR, I still got that thing, that sucker is still working cuz is has that soft high pitch whistle, after a few minutes it goes out and all during this time I hear that funky squeal, don't know where it's coming from, and basically it's driving me nuts!

It sounds like a stretched out fan belt but if I hit the gas the squeal goes away, then when it hits idle again for about 15 seconds it starts again...

Maybe it is that other fanbelt...
Old 04-13-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
My car does it too, I was hoping it was the serpentine belt, that one had about 40K miles on it, but I changed it this weekend it's still making that noise.

It does it a lot when it's cold, kinda goes away when it warms up, and it only does it at idle...

Maybe it's the other fanbelt, I have never changed that one so that's got 76K miles on it...

How do I know I need power steering fluid? I take off the ps reservoir and there is not dipstick of any kind, so how would I know I need fluid?

RE: AIR, I still got that thing, that sucker is still working cuz is has that soft high pitch whistle, after a few minutes it goes out and all during this time I hear that funky squeal, don't know where it's coming from, and basically it's driving me nuts!

It sounds like a stretched out fan belt but if I hit the gas the squeal goes away, then when it hits idle again for about 15 seconds it starts again...

Maybe it is that other fanbelt...
Carlos, the dipstick is in fact the cap on the power steering resevoir... it's got a tiny dipstick attatched to it with two marker lines...