Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy brisk plugs again?
Yes
41.67%
No
58.33%
Maybe
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Brisk LGS Spark Plugs, Revisited...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brisk LGS Spark Plugs, Revisited...

I dug up some posts regarding these plugs and most of them are a couple of years old. I will be doing a cam swap real soon (a real mild 220 Comp Cam) and I figure I will go ahead and change plugs at that time. I have been running TR55's up until now. I am planning on using the Brisk part number: GOR17LGS since they are supposed to be about the same heat range, and I have will stock a static compression ratio.

Since these have been out in the field for a couple of years now, I would like to hear from a few people that have used them to see if they like them, and if they have held up well. I really don't want to drop a hundred dollars for plugs if they don't last for at least 30K miles.

Here are the specs:

BRISK Premium GOR17LGS Spark Plug, 14mm thread, .708"(18mm) reach, 5/8'(16mm) hex, tapered seat, resistor, LGS Lamborghini semi-surface firing tip design, retracted integrated ground electrodes, silver center electrode. Please visit PLUG MODELS - LGS for more firing tip configuration information.

Here is a link to their site in case you want more info:

http://www.briskusa.com/
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

why aren't you sticking with the standby NGK plugs? People use them for a reason....
Old 09-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

The same reason people go to the trouble of indexing plugs.... To try and grasp a few extra ponies and maybe shave a little off the et.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I peresonally wouldn't spend that type of money on a spark plug. I have a couple of friends that use them in their own builds, but I still can't understand why. I see sparkplugs as a disposable item. Once it gets fouled up, toss it out. I dont know about you, but I can't afford that type of $$ on a disposable item. I stick NGK's. They are readily available, affordable, and seem to be working ok for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

any other info on this? was also curious.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
I peresonally wouldn't spend that type of money on a spark plug. I have a couple of friends that use them in their own builds, but I still can't understand why. I see sparkplugs as a disposable item. Once it gets fouled up, toss it out. I dont know about you, but I can't afford that type of $$ on a disposable item. I stick NGK's. They are readily available, affordable, and seem to be working ok for me.

I agree that they are expensive as far as plugs go, but in terms of the money spent on cars that is a drop in the bucket. I mean they aren't much more expensive than a tank of gas in todays world.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

People crack me up with these magical spark plugs that "increase HP and better gas mileage"....

Listen..

I personally have tested every spark plug under the sun in LS1 engines for nearly 10 yrs. Everything from the Bosch +4's, Rapid Fires, spit fires, double platinum, copper, etc etc etc etc...I haven't seen one yet that out performs the plain jane NGK coppers, when correctly matching the heat range to your particular engine.

There is a reason the fastest LS1's in the world don't use these bullshit plugs with all these ridiculous claims. It's because they're, plainly stated.........Bullshit and an easy ploy for taking suckers money.

Good day.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Damian
People crack me up with these magical spark plugs that "increase HP and better gas mileage"....

Listen..

I personally have tested every spark plug under the sun in LS1 engines for nearly 10 yrs. Everything from the Bosch +4's, Rapid Fires, spit fires, double platinum, copper, etc etc etc etc...I haven't seen one yet that out performs the plain jane NGK coppers, when correctly matching the heat range to your particular engine.

There is a reason the fastest LS1's in the world don't use these bullshit plugs with all these ridiculous claims. It's because they're, plainly stated.........Bullshit and an easy ploy for taking suckers money.

Good day.
Have you ever tried these? Everybody that has posted their opinions thus far have not even used them. In my original post that is what I asked for, the opinions of people that have actually used them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to put a set of these in and see a 10hp improvement, but I am curious to learn more about them since they are relatively new. The point is, if everyone had the same "tried and true" attitude, we wouldn't have running water or electricity, and everyone would be driving around in horse drawn carts.

Lots of money is spent in unecessary ways in the name of peformance, lots of people aren't scared to drop a few hundred bucks for fancy airboxes on different vehicles only to gain a slight increase in hp, etc. etc.....

Last edited by StrokerVette; 09-26-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Here's another question, have you ever indexed a plug for better performance? If so then why would you not consider these plugs? In theory, using these plugs would serve the same purpose as indexing the plugs but they would save a lot of time versus indexing plugs while the motor is in the car...
Old 09-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen..

Good day.
Damian is right on the ball here!! Don't waste your money on gimick plugs or wires with grounding straps...

If anything go NGK iridium for longevity but the best deal is a tr55.
I offer them for 18.75 delivered to your door.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have used them, and I think they fouled out within 18 months, but only 6000 miles. My idle and part throttle response began to suffer.

Back to NGK tr6's for me and it drove just as good as new.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As Blanco stated, if you want some more longevity and are too lazy to replace your plugs @ the copper intervals, then the Iridiums are fine.

But guys, do not waste your money ($10+ per plug) on these bullshit plugs. You won't feel a damn thing and I'd be willing to bet if you put your car on a dyno and did a before/after, it'd be the same HP or within 1 HP difference between them all.

Put some $2 coppers in there, and change them every 15-30K (depending on your preference and what you do with your car/engine).
Old 09-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I have heard that if I were to use the iridium plugs, I would need to get the TR5IX instead of the TR55IX. Why would the smaller gap be necessary just because of the switch to iridium?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Another question, what is the cheapest price that you have found for the IX plugs, and where did you find it at?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes down to the plug you have to consider what is happening. The spark ignites the air fuel mixture. That's IT.

All that matters is that there IS a spark with the minimum energy required to ignite the mixture. That's it. There's no magic to a combustion spark that will produce a more powerful flame.

All you are really paying for between materials is longevity of the plugs.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

But guys, do not waste your money ($10+ per plug) on these bullshit plugs. You won't feel a damn thing and I'd be willing to bet if you put your car on a dyno and did a before/after, it'd be the same HP or within 1 HP difference between them all.
actually a local shop here in Nashville swears by them...and has back to back dyno pulls with nothing but plugs changed to prove they work..

put in new copper plugs..do some pulls, swap to brisk silver plugs and do more pulls...
every time it has shown gains thru the entire rpm range..
some cars only a few ponies, some cars as much as 8hp
Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i have some brand new GOR17LGS plugs for sale 50 bucks shipped. i was going to use them when i was NA but cant now with the mods i have...to hot of a plug
Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Teching In

I am fairly new to the LS1 world. Just put together a 5.3L with a cam, stock heads, 750 holley carb....I think the stock plugs arent enough...any suggestions??

Quick Reply: Brisk LGS Spark Plugs, Revisited...