Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain what the SLP IAT MODULE does?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Explain what the SLP IAT MODULE does?

What does this mod do? Is it worth the dough?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Explain what the SLP IAT MODULE does?

it's nothing more than a 5 cent resistor you can buy at radioshack... it makes the computer think that the incoming charge is much colder than it really is, so as a result the computer will add a little more timing...

Definetly not worth the dough... they want like 25 bux for a fancy package... do a search in the new to LS1 forum (top one) and this one, and you'll find the exact resistor size you need... then pickup a 5 or 10 pack from radioshack for 50 cents and put the resistor in the IAT sensor... really though I doubt you'll see much improvement.... (could even degrade performance if you get any detonation due to increased timing)
Old 09-09-2003, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, it's funny that this just came up. I was working on a Firehawk this weekend and the owner had done the radio shack resistor. He auto tapped it and it actually showed that it was working. How much will you actually pick up from it? I couldn't tell ya. But the owner said he felt it was worth it.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm... looking at LS1 Edit... there's a table IAT vs MAP Timing Adjustment... looks like it doesn't do anything unless it's hot out and you're getting a ton of air pushed in... and worst case it pulls a max of 3 degrees of timing... so I guess there can be a difference there.. though I bet any SOTP difference is more psychological than actual...
Old 09-09-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 4.7k ohm resistor from Radio Shack will do the trick. It'll show 57 degrees temp at all times. As mentioned, don't expect big gains. I like it for consistancy of timing advance at the track (sitting in the staging lanes makes the IAT sensor read artificially high.)