Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got Fernco on!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got Fernco on!

It only took me about and hour and a half of cutting and trimming the thing to get it to fit right but i have to say im pleased with the way it looks.And There doesnt seem to be any unesasary stress on my air lid, I wouldnt think it would cause it to crack. I took the car out for a few WOt runs last night and every thing is fine. Best of all it didint cost me $50 bucks , $6 bucks at home depot and your on your way I took some pics before i put it on the car incase any one need to get an idea of how to cut it to fit. But its on a WS6 lower air box so I would think it would be different on a different box.

peace, justin

http://community.webshots.com/user/jsonic16
Its the newer pics page at the bottom
Old 09-10-2003, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Finally got Fernco on!

Wow, you really did ALOT of trimming! How well do the band clamps seem to hold now? It looks like you may have had to move them inward out of their original grooves?

Glad it worked out well for you.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice

I didn't have to do nearly that much trimming, prolly because I have the regular air box.

Lookin good
Old 09-10-2003, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

i put mine on and trimed it all in 15min. for$6.00 bucks i'm happy.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the band clamps arent completly in the grooves any more..mainly bc most of the groove isnt there. But the bottom of it still has the groove and it dissapears as it goes up. so they still fit fine.
, justin
Old 09-11-2003, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Did you notice any gains?
Old 09-11-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is not a mod that you will "notice" any gain with. If you do, it's only a placebo effect. This is one of those "it has to help at least some and it's next to free" mods. I doubt that you could even prove the difference on a dyno.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread made me get out and do mine at like 10pm last night got it done in like a 1/2 hr or so.

lata
Bill
Old 09-19-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went out and got one... 9:45pm... that ferco looks mauled compared to my untouched one, anyone has a pic of a non-butchered fernco?
Old 09-20-2003, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You cut the hell out of that thing. I'm concerned for you that it's not going to completely seal around the MAF and the TB. IMO, you cut way too much. There's really no need to trim it. I did it for aesthetic purposes only. That is if it's possible to make a piece of sewer hose look good.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I installed the Fernco with no cutting. I heated it up real good in simmering water, spread a little WD-40 on the surfaces, and it slid right on easy as could be. I mean, it literally slid right on. It was really no harder than installing the stock bellows. BTW, wear gloves when handling a scolding hot Fernco!

You guys are making this ALOT harder than it has to be, IMO.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no way that thing would have went on my car without cutting. First off it was a little to long so it had to be shorttend. and then theres the bend. The TB is sticking straight out and the neck of my lid is pointting more downwards bc the front of it is raised.(WS6 lower air box.) We got one of my friends on without cutting at all,but he has a Z28 with a stock lid. Grantted I might have cut a little more of an angle than I needed but every thing seals fine and there is no stress on the lid.
peace, justin
Old 09-21-2003, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

I installed the Fernco with no cutting. I heated it up real good in simmering water, spread a little WD-40 on the surfaces, and it slid right on easy as could be. I mean, it literally slid right on. It was really no harder than installing the stock bellows. BTW, wear gloves when handling a scolding hot Fernco!

You guys are making this ALOT harder than it has to be, IMO.
Agreed, I put mine in a sink full of hot tap water for like 5 imnutes and slid it right on. No trimming or anything, and that was a year ago. Still works like a champ with no cracks in the lid.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Well it look's like I'm going to have to make a stop at home depot, only bolt on I haven't done yet.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Put mine on with a little lube, no heating, no trimming. I should have heated it to make it a little easier but it went on pretty smooth. I have an SLP lid. They look great.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Some cars need trimming..others don't in my experiance. It slid right on my fiance's Firehawk (2002, regular lower air box, SLP lid) without trimming. My WS6 required a lot of trimming. (2002, WS6 lower air box, stock air lid at the time). A friend 2000 SS needed trimming too. It seems to be a matter of what lid and lower airbox determines if trimming is needed or not...but it's certainly a lot easier without trimming!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine required some trimming (2001 SS w/ SLP lid then TSP lid - both required). Wasnt a difficult task though by any means and was well worth the price difference ($50 vs $6). Eventually took it off though due to concerns with it being too rigid and not allowing any movement, etc. Also wasnt possitive about a complete seal - so I figured I'd put the stock peice back on. My line of thinking = how much difference can a peice of material make in the little distance (approx 4") between the MAF and TB? Not much. So I rather gurantee a proper seal and allowed flexability then deal with a improper fit and potential cracked lid.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used the hump hose and had to make an angle cut on both sides to make it perfect. A good pair of tin snips will make short work of a hump hose or Fernco.

Bruce