Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnamouth review/installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Magnamouth review/installation

I will give this info for anyone looking at the magnaflow bullet muffler for their SLP LM catback

Well I just got done fitting up the magnaflow bullet muffler in my 02 WS6 with LT and a ORY. The SLP LM resonator was very raspy from 2100 to 2600 RPMs. With the magnamouth setup its less raspy but still has a little bit if your in a higher gear luggin it a little, but it is much more manageable IMO. It is still loud though(not saying its a bad thing). The tone is a little deeper and less raspy at idle also.

I am not sure but do mufflers kinda have a breakin time? I have only driven it a about 6 miles so far.

3in inlet and 3 in outlet magnaflow bullet
In terms of fitment:
the I pipe from the Y pipe had to be expanded on the Y side as it was the same size. On the muffler side it was a little sloppy in the magnaflow bullet so I had that opened up maybe an 1/8 or maybe even less. Just enough to snug it up a little better in the muffler.

On the exit side of the muffler the I had the pipe expanded to fit over the muffler as they were both 3 inch. Main issue here is that the pipe that goes out of the muffler and up to the axle has already been expanded once(I believe its 2 3/4 inch pipe). Because its already been stretch once you have to stretch it slow to be able to fit over the muffler. The pipe started to split just a little but its nothing that a little weld cant fix.

In all im happy with it. Installation was a little pain because i wasnt aware that it wouldnt fit right off the bat but I just had to take it to a friend that had a 3 inch dye expander and it took all of 5 min. to do

Also need a new clamp as the SLP band clamp wont fit the expanded pipe. 3inch clamp worked for me

Anybody know if mufflers break in at all?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well mufflers will get a little louder one you put a few hundred miles on them or at least my head thinks they do lol.
i have always noticed that then will get louder once there on the car for a wile.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun
well mufflers will get a little louder one you put a few hundred miles on them or at least my head thinks they do lol.
i have always noticed that then will get louder once there on the car for a wile.
Well I dont really hope it gets louder but if anything gets rid of the last little bit of rasp left...time will tell. Im goin on a cruise tomorrow so we will see......
Old 10-04-2008, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

If it's still too loud for you just put a bullet in each tail pipe. I don't think you would lose that much power by doing that.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shaun
I think it depends mostly on their construction/packing material, but I agree it always seems that they sound a bit difference after a few hundred miles. I imagine most of it is just me getting more used to it and hearing it under more driving conditions.

Quick Reply: Magnamouth review/installation