Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help!! cant figure out whats banging!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry need help!! cant figure out whats banging!!!

hey guys i need your help
i recentley put a set of pacesetter lt's and a tsp ory and i cant find whats banging!
i have the mufflex y pipe hanger on the drivers side and there is pleanty of clearance on the passenger side.
when i installed the lt's all i had to do was grind off the tab on the block and they slid right in.
i looked at the k member and there is good clearance there to.
its actually not a solid bang it almost sounds like a grind but only at low speeds in 1st like at 5-10 or from a stop or if im going about 20 and stomp on it and catch 1st it will do it for a second then after the rpms go up its fine and it fells like a grinding noise and i can feel it in the floor board eather coming from the middle of the floor or the passenger side.
it is driveing me nuts! im tired of jacking the car up and geting on my back and messing with it and i have an exhaust shop across the street and i had it on there lift and it looks like there is pleanty of room.
what the hell can it be?
please guys i need ya.thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Is the exhaust close to the driveshaft?

I had a grinding noise on my 94' TA and it turned out to be the exhaust was hitting the driveshaft.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

ill look in to that but i doubt thats it but ill look tomorrow.
any other ideas guys????????????????
Old 10-05-2008, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

I was going to say DS also but mine is super close to the torque arm as well. I am having the same problems at low rpm so maybe it is the torque arm if i ever get some time off work I will check it out. good luck
Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What catback are you runnning? Pacesetters & TSP Y-pipe should have plenty of clearance themselves. No reason to have a Mufflex hanger there to my knowlege. Maybe your problem?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

well it banged before the mufflex hanger and it banged after lol so that was a waste.
the catback is a custom made one it's just 3in" pipe from the y over the axle then in to a single in magnaflow then a single out with 1 hidden single tip.
i want to go to the track today to see what i run and it sucks i got to get back under the car again.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had the same setup and no matter what I did it hit the floor under the driver's seat until I installed poly motor mounts. I've tried both the TSP cat & ory and the pacesetter Y since it's a little flat on top. With the pacesetter Y I have about 1/2" of clearance and it still hit when I got on it hard with the factory motor mounts. I tried the mufflex hanger like you have but it doesn't work so well on the pacesetter Y so not sure if that should fix your problem or not but it sounds like it's not enough.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did not read a lot into the thread. But is the banging under your feet or by the floor board or is it by the rear seats?

Ciukd be your y pipe banging, or if you have a body mounted TA it could be that too
Old 10-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Teching In

It's the y-pipe on the floorboard. Go to lowe's and get yourself some hot water heater hose and a couple of worm clamps. Push the hose in between the flat part of the y-pipe on the drivers side and slide the worm clamp through and tighten. Do the same with any other parts that are close to the body. Just because they aren't touching when you look doesn't mean that they aren't when you're driving. This fixed mine and should fix yours too.