Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yella terra non adjustables..setting them..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Yella terra non adjustables..setting them..

Can I just set my non adjustable yella terras like factory 22ft pounds or do I have to do the old chevy crap.find zero lash and then give them 1/2 turn type of stuff.It would seem to me since they are non adjustable I would just do the former.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To do the install 100% correctly, you need to check the wipe pattern (and adjust using shims if necessary) and also use a pushrod length checker to make sure you have correct preload on the lifters. If you search there are many threads detailing how to do both.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok but isn't the preload crap for the adjustable ones.It would seem to me that if you set preload at zero and then give it 1/2 turn then they are adjustable obviously. Maybe we are talking about the wrong ones. Mine are definitely 1.8 non adjustable. the adjustable ones were more money.I figured just put the damn things in there..I can check wipe or whatever and can check pushrod length of course as well.

And can set them like old chevy if necessary too. Just figured install mabye do those checks and just set them to 22 ft pounds and call it day??
Old 10-06-2008, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed yella terra 1.7 non adjustables a couple years ago and just made sure the valves were closed on each cylinder when I put them on and tightened them to 22 ft/lbs.. Haven't had an issue..
Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Ok but isn't the preload crap for the adjustable ones.It would seem to me that if you set preload at zero and then give it 1/2 turn then they are adjustable obviously. Maybe we are talking about the wrong ones. Mine are definitely 1.8 non adjustable. the adjustable ones were more money.I figured just put the damn things in there..I can check wipe or whatever and can check pushrod length of course as well.

And can set them like old chevy if necessary too. Just figured install mabye do those checks and just set them to 22 ft pounds and call it day??
Hey, once you tighten down the non-adjustable rocker down, it will push the pushrod down into the lifter, giving the lifter a certain amount of preload. (I think the stock lifters like .060-.080" of preload, but I'm not 100% sure, so check.) This is why you need a pushrod length checker, to make sure that this amount is correct.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok.. understand about the pushrod length. But you can still just do the 22 ft pound thing. Some guys said to turn engine and do it.I did that last cam install. Some guys just said tighten then down spin engine over and check the torque...
Old 10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Ok.. understand about the pushrod length. But you can still just do the 22 ft pound thing. Some guys said to turn engine and do it.I did that last cam install. Some guys just said tighten then down spin engine over and check the torque...
If you're sure about the pushrod length, then yeah, I've done the 22lbft thing and things turned out fine. You can follow the sequence GM gives, but if you do things slow and allow the lifters to bleed down slowly, there shouldn't be a problem.