Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what do I do if I got a header bolt in crooked....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So what do I do if I got a header bolt in crooked....

I have those stage 8 locking header bolts. They are a bitch to get started in the hole bacause they do not have those pointy tips that the stock bolts have. I decided that using the locking part was too much of a pain in the **** and I am using them as regular bolts.
I accidentally got one of my bolt started crooked and screwed it in about 1/4 of the way then backed it out. Now it is hard to turn when screwing it in. Do I need a tap or should I just force it in?
If I need a tap what size to I need? Thanks
Old 09-11-2003, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: So what do I do if I got a header bolt in crooked....

You cross threaded the bolt hole in the head, you can re-tap it, don't know what size, goto a machine shop they should be able to tell you. Don't screw it up too bad unless you want new heads
Also, if you arent doing the lock, buy some regular bolts and some lock-tite, and make sure to tighten them in a few days.
-Steve
Old 09-11-2003, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

I am using them as regular bolts.

I am a little confused by this statement, is it crooked in the header bolt hole or is it somewhere else. If it was in the header bolt hole I would by a tap that is one size bigger than the threads and go with that. If it were somewhere else other than an important one like holding headers on I would screw it down tight and forget about it. because it sounds like the hole is already fugged up and the bolt is at least tight therefore never backing out.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am using them as regular bolts.

I am a little confused by this statement, is it crooked in the header bolt hole or is it somewhere else. If it was in the header bolt hole I would by a tap that is one size bigger than the threads and go with that. If it were somewhere else other than an important one like holding headers on I would screw it down tight and forget about it. because it sounds like the hole is already fugged up and the bolt is at least tight therefore never backing out.
It is the 3rd header bolt hole. I guess I need to get the tap size and "clean up" the threads.
So using the stage 8 bolts without the locks is a bad thing?
I dont see how it would be any different than using the stock bolts except that they are harder to put in.

Do I need locktight on my header bolts?
Old 09-11-2003, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

I would run a tap that is the same size as the stock bolts. If it is only 1/4 the way in, you can fix it without having to go bigger.

Tommy
Old 09-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to me, after alot of swearing Slowhawk was nice enough to re-tap the threads for me.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:24 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I think its an 8x1.25mm tap, but I'm not 100% sure on that...just 90% sure

I used my stage 8 bolts without the locks..works just fine. No locktite and I've never had one back out either.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Don't force it in. You may be able to get it in properly if you haven't gone too deep yet (an not have to retap). Back it out and try and line it up so it goes in at the exact same angle as the others. This may help to have a second guy with you spotting from under the car to make you your angle is right.

I had a problem doing my headers where three of the bolts wanted to go in crooked. It took me about 30 attempts each before I managed to get the bolts in properly, at the right angle, and cut through the 'crossthreaded' section.

This can easily happen if you are trying to bolt something into any aluminum block (LS1) by yourself. It helps to always have a second person HOLDING the item being bolted in to ensure that no lateral pressure exists to force the bolt in sideways. I won't bolt anything into an LS1 block without a second person handy unless the item lines up perfectly with no stress - the minute you start to fight the sideways stress, you crossthread.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

I had this happen, and I've just been running around with one bolt out. It is one of the middle bolts, same as this guy. Anyone think this could hurt something?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I solved it I think. There was no way to fix the threads so I just screwed the damn thing in crooked. I know it wasnt the best thing and I am not happy but that is what I ended up doing.
But the only other option was to pull the head and I aint doin that yet.
Pray for me. I hope is doesnt leak. The headers are not coming off until ported heads. I guess they arent even good for a core anymore.

Thanks for the help. I am bummed. I feel like should have just come up with the cash and had this professionally done.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hugh, dont feel bad crap happens. Should have got someone local to help you out, I would have if you live on the south side of town. BTW what headers are they?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are Jet Hot headers. I had the same K-member problem as most but a grinder took care of that.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Launching!

on my SLP's i got the right side #3 bolt stripped the same way and i left it out and man did i ever have a leak right there...but i had heads on the way so i didn't worry about it too much..but yea it was a bad leak those bolts are spaced in just the right areas...
Old 09-12-2003, 03:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

That $h!t happen to me about a year ago, I had a friend that doesn't really work on cars helping me out. He started putting one of the bolts in and some how cross threaded it about a 1/4 inch in. After a lot of swearing I stoped for the night because it was getting late and I was just getting more frustrated with it. The next morning I went to sears and bought a tap and die set. I ran a tap in it that was the same size as the hole. Worked out great after that!!!!
Old 09-12-2003, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

I lost a header bolt once when the car was apart for a while and drove around with one missing for a while and it didn't even leak at all.

Jordan

Quick Reply: So what do I do if I got a header bolt in crooked....