Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear cover

Ok i bought the rear main cover kit that comes with everything ready to go...are there any special things i have to do to install it or is it as easy as unbolt the old and bolt in the new?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get a pan to catch all your differential fluid when you take the old one off..Take like the bottom three bolts all the way out and then just start loosening the rest it will slowly start to drain..I would use new to fill it back up need two quarts and a bottle of limited slip additive depending on what carrier you have..
Old 10-09-2008, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

This is for the rear cover of the engine...where the rear main seal is.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You just need to make sure it is centered on the rear of the crankshaft so it don't eat up the new seal..I have heard most people just eyeball it, but I would try to snug it up and run like a .010 feeler gage around the inside gently to make sure..then tighten it up..Sorry I thought you post was like a TA rear cover man..my bad...
Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

One more quick question...do i need to put any oil around the seal to make it slide on easier?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It never hurts to use oil.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Teching In

rear cover-sspx0310.jpg

Ok, I've never actually done this one before. I've got a couple questions. I took a picture today of the back side of the engine. I noticed some oil residue up near the topside of the rear main cover. The reason for the replacement was because there was oil seeping between engine/trans and I figured the rear main was gone. Now with it off I see oil above the seal it makes me wonder if something else might be bad too.
I replaced the gasket for the cover so hopefully that was it. I also cleaned up all of the oil on the engine in that area and put the cover in the solvent tank. I'm putting the bolts back in tomorrow and beginning the re-install part of the job. I've got feeler gauges to check adn make sure it all matches up.

I've got 2/3 of the service manual, (luckily I've got one of the books I need) it says .004, someone else mentioned .01 From what I gor from the book that was just the bottom of the cover to that "sill" that it meets. Is the feeler gauge actually for between the new seal and the portion of the crankshaft that the flywheel bolts to? Or is it for both the seal AND that cover-to-engine "sill" part?

The only other question I had was about the two bolts on bottom that thread upwards to the bottom of the cover, do I tighten those first? Or only after I've tightened the 12 bolts that hold the cover on?
I appreciate the help ahead of time. I've got most of this figured out. I just want to make sure I get it right so I don't have to pull it again before I leave the island in a few months.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Nothin? I know it's still early, maybe I can bump this to the top for the start of the day. I've still got a few hours. One other question, what is the torque on the bolts that go up through the bottom of the cover? I couldn't figure that out either?