Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-freeze, Dexcool

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-freeze, Dexcool

Ok so I'm draining out that nasty Dexcool out of my car and going to the Anti-freeze. My question is. If I buy that stuff that says it will work with all coolants would it mix all right with the Dexcool. I'm afraid that if I don't get all that crap out and put just regular Anti-freeze in it that it will cause problems. But if I put in the stuff that says it mixes will all coolants that it would be safer. I'm not to familiar with this new stuff. I'm use to the old green stuff and from what I heard is that when Dexcool is mixed with the old green stuff its very corrosive.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the green stuff, just flush out your system good.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not corrosive if you mix green and Dexcool, but it makes the additive packages in them less effective.

I would drain you system, then fill and drain your system a couple of times with water. Then finally fill with the coolant mixture of your choice.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why in the world would you ever change, Dexcool is far superior to the green coolant and provides lower surface tension so it transfers heat better. Every car I have had with Dexcool is problem free and the motor internals are clean.

Last edited by vettenuts; 10-14-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently you never owned one with a 3800 Series II.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Why in the world would you ever change, Dexcool is far superior to the green coolant and provides lower surface tension so it transfer heat better. Every car I have had with Dexcool is problem free and the motor internals are clean.
Yeah dexcool is the best

http://www.fquick.com/blog/Judge_to_...r_coolant/1920
Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

If Dexcool is so great than why has GM been taken to court over it. Gm payed out thousands to people with bad water pumps intake gaskets and heater core issues. Even though I know that my car was not on the list of the vehicles with the problems. I know for a fact that it sucks. I had to replace my heater core and water pump in my blazer because of it. I'm not the only one either a couple of people that I know had the same issues. One had to put a new radiator in his blazer. I have seen a few impalas in my shop where I work with sludge build up after we had to replace the intake gaskets. I'm not taking any chances with my pride and joy. I have all ready noticed that the dip stick for the coolant is stained and has nasty build up on it. Some people may never have any problems with it but like I said I would rather run something in my car that has less of chance of causing problem than running something that could cause a problem later.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If air mixes with the coolant I have seen DC sludge up (ex's old Burb). Having said that been running it 9 years 185K+ in my Z-71 with great success. BTW DC went back in the T/A when I recently put in my Howe Racing radiator
Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Dexcool turned to a cottage cheese texture in my 1996 v6 Camaro! System was flushed 6 times at the dealership and I still needed a new heater core. Ran good ole green in it after that with no problems and had no more cooling issues. I still have Dexcool in my '01 SS though since it still looks good in it.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club

yeah when i put my LQ4 in my 86 camaro i just used green because dexcool does indeed SUCK A$$!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

When i pulled the engine out of my car, 80k on it, never changed the coolant and its a 02' it was completely clean. I do have build up on the dip stick for the reserve tank. The raditor and passages on the block were completely clean. Im going to remove the tank and put in one from summit but when i do put my new motor back in, not sure which im going to run. Dexcool or just reg stuff. What was the real purpose of the dex-cool? For aluminum? What ever i do put in the car, it will most likely be flushed once a year just to make sure everythign stays clean.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Dexcool is good, if the cooling system is properly sealed and designed properly. If not, you start getting problems like the sludging described before. So I think the statements here should read "dexcool sucks....if your cooling system lets air in".
Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grimes
Dexcool is good, if the cooling system is properly sealed and designed properly. If not, you start getting problems like the sludging described before. So I think the statements here should read "dexcool sucks....if your cooling system lets air in".
The recovery tank is vented, correct? So is that why there is build up in it?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Apollo0526
The recovery tank is vented, correct? So is that why there is build up in it?
That's why you'll get some stuff on the dipstick sometimes. I see that sometimes as well - but my cooling system is clean, and I have had no problems running DexCool in it.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go read why these things happened. There are several papers and studies on it that have been presented at symposiums over the years. Bottom line, still a better coolant then the green. Take a look into a motor that has run the greed, nice build up of silicates, that should really help with heat transfer (not). You can run whatever you like, I will stick with what works.

Quick Reply: Anti-freeze, Dexcool