Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter project. H/C/I/N...question

Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter project. H/C/I/N...question

Hey guys i've been searching and readin up around here to see what proven combos are working for people. But i have a specific question for my set up. I just layed out a plan that i'm going to get workin on this winter. Intake, cam, heads, nitrous.
I plan a cam around the size of the MS3 and i'll find a set of used heads from someone to put on also. In which case i need to switch out my stock ls1 intake. Now... assuming i have a MS3 and heads, will an ls6 intake flow enough for that? Or do i need to move up to the fast? I hear most people say with big cams or head/cam you need a fast. It's just so damn expensive but if you guys say i REALLY won't get the best out of the setup with the ls6 i'll go with a fast. All these parts will be going on at the same time this winter so i want to have this whole setup chosen before i start.
If it makes a difference i will be running nitrous after the setup is complete.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

humm, a big project eh?

Well, the FAST 92mm is never needed. A lot of plp are having great results with the LS6. BUT, if youre going with a MS3 sized cam and a nice set of ported heads, the FAST will show very nice gains for sure. If you have 1200$ in hands for the FAST, do it. The LS6 will get the jobs done though.

Youre looking at 420-440rwhp with MS3/ported heads with the LS6 and add 15-25 for the FAST. A good advice:go visit the dyno section and internal/external gen III for a while...a lot of research is ahead!!

Dont forget youll need that tune and gears if you want to be in the rpm you want..

Why not the MS4 ?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

You know what, right as you said that, my buddy told me he has a MS4 for sale. MS4 it is. And i have a tuner lined up who did BESstrokednova on here. He's a good tuner so i'm ok with that. And as far as the gears, I'll be slow for a little bit till i can afford a whole new rear. And yes i know not to dig race with the stock rear with this set up. lol
It was really the intake question that i was only concerned with at this point. So if i come across a crackhead good deal for the fast i'll probably pick it up, if not i might port an ls6 i guess...But thanks for the info!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

funny about the MS4...

I'm asking myself about the FAST too, but I think i'll go with a bigger cam first.

Dont forget to look at heads that will clear the MS4 or you will be forced to notch. Stock sized valves will clear in unmilled LS6 heads, I think.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you will be fine on the LS6 intake. If you want more though go for the FAST combo.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can only minimally port an LS6 and a chance it will be worse if you don't know what your doing. Just my .02
Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

do a vic jr and a nitrous outlet elbow...fits under the hood with any size inlet you want and with a 92mm TB...it will be cheaper than the FAST....Just a thought
Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Vic jr. is a topend intake. I would go LS6 or Fast for a mostly streetcar.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

check this out click me. for info on the fast vs ls6

searching is your best friend....and if you go MS4, calling TSP might be a good idea for PTV clearance

Search this Thread