Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honing LQ4 iron block - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Honing LQ4 iron block - Questions

I have a LQ4 6.0 that I bought to build up for a project. Internals overall look good... except one bore that had a spark plug left out and water sat in there. There is some light corrosion on the upper 1/3 of the cylinder wall. Want to reuse the piston's and just re-ring them. Can I do that after honing out the cyinder? With the pistons being so short in length I didn't know if that small amount of honing would cause too much slop??
Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Stock LS engines tend to have problems with piston to wall clearance straight from the factory. The most you would want to do is probably just "deglaze" the surface for the rings to wear in properly. The best thing to do would be just to get new pistons so you could get the correct clearance, not to mention correct any taper or run out from the factory.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it just on the surface of the cylinder wall or actually eat into it?? I have cleaned up bores before with very light water damage usually will clean right up just leaves dark spots where the metal is stained even after honing. Got any pics of it??
Old 12-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Teching In

i had the same exact problem same motor it was ate in a little at top on one side i got wd40 and honer and sprayed and honed till i got crosshatching in the cylinder and it got rid of the marks. I guess im gonna rering it now and hopefully it will be alright the motor only had 50k on it.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^correct....if you arent going to take it to a shop for a linebore, acid bath, and fresh hoan....
do what he did....my lq4 had corrosion like you explained in #4.....too bad to fix at home
but found things that would have ended up ruining my day had i went ahead and put the engien together....
your decision....better safe than sorry sometimes, unless you got money like that LOL
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Teching In

if i was loaded i would probably take it and get it bored...etc. but im on a budget and my buddy at the machine shop tells me it will be fine honing and reringing it. easy fix but could cost me in the long run but thats fine i want to make a stroker one day so if it goes in 5 years thats fine it will only be drove on weekends for fun! not a daily driver i would have went other route if it was dd!

Quick Reply: Honing LQ4 iron block - Questions