Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torrquer 2 problems!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torrquer 2 problems!

Well, basically my friend's car took a **** on him after getting the TQR v.2. It is a '98 z28 m6 with pacesetters and the full TSP cam/valvetrain package. He ran it without a tune for a while with open headers, maybe 2-3 weeks, but even after the tune it ran like dogshit. He took it into a shop and I don't know exactly what they said is wrong with it but he needs new heads. The shop said something to the effect of "the cam is beating the valvetrain to ****." Apparently they even called Comp Cams who said this was a "drag race only" cam. My *** it is! I told him to have the shop call TSP so they could tell these morons its not the cam. So does anyone know what could be going wrong here??

I know, I know, I gave very little info but its all I have right now BUT I will get the exact info from my friend when he calls me back later. I'm sure its not the cam, but any idea what's gone wrong here?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You said it...we really need some more information on this one! Feel free to call us, have him call us, the shop can call us, etc. We'd be glad to help!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

I really have no idea why he hasn't called you. I told him to, or to have to shop call, or something but he said he was busy and for me to post this to figure it out. I'll try calling again. His name is Brett, be expecting a call soon.

To be honest, I think this shop knows jack about LSx cars (and the cam sizes) and that his car was fucked up from the beginning.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who did the install? The cam didn't screw anything up but I'm sure a person did.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

what kind of tune did he get?? mail order?? if he is running open headers it will run like a p.o.s with all the fresh air getting to the 02's

I have pacesetters on my gto and it ran great for 5 minuets after dropping the exh then like total hell. the 02's are way too close to fresh air to run with out an extension pipe

but if he got it tuned by a tuner he should already know this. just something to look at
Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

idk about the tune, i know that he did get it tuned. another local fbody guy said that the guy is known for shitty tunes (something brett forgot to look up)

still waiting for him to answer though, but i think hes at work.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

i ran mine open headers with my torqer 2 and it ran fine. a lil down on power but overall it ran just fine.

i think somebody didnt install somethin right
Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

cam was installed by a friend who has done many ls1 cam installs, including a beast cam-only MS4 that has never had a miss.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

just got off the phone with him, he said the shop told him "the springs got smashed from roller rockers" and that something about the lifters and thats basically it.

he said hell be giving you a call Matt, I gave him your name FYI. Idk if you guys are still open or not but he said he'd call and he might have the shop call.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The springs didn't get smashed by the rockers, I'd almost gaurentee you that unless they are the stock springs. They are full of ****. Especially if the proper springs were installed during the cam swap. If stock springs weren't installed he could have some spring binding issues b/c of the higher lift. He also could have dropped a lifter, which if they were stockers isn't a uncommon thing depending on mileage.

I'd be suspect to what the shop is telling you especially if they aren't very experienced with LS motors. And who ever said this is a race only cam needs a new job cause they don't know **** about what they are telling people.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I didn't think the springs would be the problem since he got duals when he got the package from TSP.

"they found a bunch of lifters" was what he told me the shop said.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Default how

Originally Posted by blown03mustang
i ran mine open headers with my torqer 2 and it ran fine. a lil down on power but overall it ran just fine.

i think somebody didnt install somethin right
how can it run just fine with fresh air 1" from the o2's with pacesetters

way rich is not fine.it runs like ****.

but being its from blown stang and the last ford guy i smoked had a plate that said 500hp and i whooped him with prob honestly 450 at the crank.

runnen fine for me and a fastest thing on earth ford guy are 2 diff things

so yeah maybe it runs good with the ltft's @ +50 or something stupid like that

but not for me you can't run open headers with the o2's 1" from open air

must have a custom ford tune.**** they don't need o2's

they are fine with out them

trust me when i break into the 10's this weekend i won't have open header's and my ltft's will be in check

read up and learn how to make power and go fast not pull the exh and sound fast
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by quick346
how can it run just fine with fresh air 1" from the o2's with pacesetters

way rich is not fine.it runs like ****.

but being its from blown stang and the last ford guy i smoked had a plate that said 500hp and i whooped him with prob honestly 450 at the crank.

runnen fine for me and a fastest thing on earth ford guy are 2 diff things

so yeah maybe it runs good with the ltft's @ +50 or something stupid like that

but not for me you can't run open headers with the o2's 1" from open air

must have a custom ford tune.**** they don't need o2's

they are fine with out them

trust me when i break into the 10's this weekend i won't have open header's and my ltft's will be in check

read up and learn how to make power and go fast not pull the exh and sound fast

WTF are you talking about?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

prolly broke a rocker arm. i broke one with my ms4...

what they found were prolly needle bearings in the heards and oil pan... aint nothing but replacing the stock rocker arm
Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Launching!

I know a little about cam installs, but if they didn't get the dots lined up exactly that would cause problems. And if you didn't do the swap yourself I would check and see if they put the right springs in. BIG CAM, STOCK SPRINGS, NO GOOD!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

nah, he put in new springs when he got the cam & (dual) spring kit from TSP. but I have yet to see his car since he went and took it to the shop. they haev it down to the block so i might go check it out to find out what really dropped
Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
"they found a bunch of lifters" was what he told me the shop said.
That comment right there would make me pull my car from that shop. there are only 8 lifters per side & if they removed the heads I'd hope they found lifters in the motor. If not they are ****** blind.

He needs to look at the heads if they are already removed. Gets pics & post them. Same with the lifters & these pieces they supposedly found. Otherwise we can sit here all night tryin to guess what is goin on & still make no progress.

Seems like your friend isn't very educated about his own car either if he is believing everything the shop is tellin him without lookin it over very closely & makin sure they aren't full of it.

Ask the shop if they removed the heads to get the lifters out. If they say no get the car outta there cause thats the ONLY way to access LS motor lifters.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow it sounds like you guys are having a hell of a time getting this thing lined out.
Sorry to hear all the issues.

Tell your friend not to worry about the Torquer & PRC spring kit. Thousands of people on ls1tech are running combos very similar to what he's doing.

You guy might consider getting the car back & going through it yourself. Check the cam is dot to dot & check the preload on the lifters. Maybe you can easily find something not done correctly & get this thing on the road.

That being said it is important to get some tubing to get the o2 away from fresh air. That 02 next to fresh air will definately screw with driveability & power! That's the main reason open header guys still at 12-16" of extra 3" pipe on the end of their headers.

Tell your friend not to get to discouraged, I know problems like this can really kill the fun in working on your car. These issues are not his fault, and can most likely be easily fixed.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 10-16-2008, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

thanks guys, for all the help, even with such crappy, little info. great to hear from TSP too. I am probably going to check it out today and I will bring a camera with me. I really want to know whats going on here, b/c like you guys said, the shop dont know what they are saying. they have the motor torn down to the block right now so im guessing they tore the heads off and found the lifters in the motor. i will definately ask them that tricky question there big mike, ill try n check 'em. i think this is their first ls motor, since they think .600" lift is a drag cam so i think they are ******* weeetards.

the reason i wanted to clear the cam of all wrongdoing here is so that his dad wont force him back to stock. obviously its not the cam, never really thought it was. but the rear o2's could have/ probably did contribute to the problem. he burned through a set when we all told him to get exxtensions but oh well, live and learn. ill kepop ya posted, and thanks again for the help!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No mention yet of hardended pushrods...did he swap them during the cam install?