Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 225 heads this is scary stuff..

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AFR 225 heads this is scary stuff..

Ok fine my afr 225 look awesome and installing them. But something not very happy about..the inner row is open to the engine..I can see my cam in there!
This is very scary. Now also it was pain to install the washers on the head studs on the inner row and the nuts.I was paranoid even with doing it on my engine stand that the nut or washer could fall into the engine and then would need to get it out by taking the heads off again! I figured out a trick
.Put an allen key in the hole in the stud. Then put the washer or nut over it.
Then you can't really drop it as easy. I was going to use a magnet but they mostly get in the way.

Now am doing my arp head studs and think the washers are cutting the heads a bit and making some metal filings that could also fall into the engine .Will these fall harmlessly to the pan or what. I was thinking also trying to get magnet near there to hopefully grab the filings but don't think aluminum is magnetic..So whats the deal with my super expensive heads?And yeah I lubed under the washers think they are slightly cutting where they sit possibly or maybe my sockets are crap.Was thinking to use an impact socket but of course my torque wrench.

You guys know actual size of the stud nuts are they metric or sae and what exactly are they.

This is being a pain..
Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok feel a bit stupid..just big oil returns in the heads or whatever but they did for some reason seem huge to me.

So they are pretty much installed now.And guess they didn't really chew up any filings just the light or something. And for anyones info the arp head studs are 16mm for the 11mm studs and 13 mm for the 8mm studs.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its great when you can answer your own question. I definitely understand your concern though. Those are some great heads
Old 10-18-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Ok feel a bit stupid..just big oil returns in the heads or whatever but they did for some reason seem huge to me.

So they are pretty much installed now.And guess they didn't really chew up any filings just the light or something. And for anyones info the arp head studs are 16mm for the 11mm studs and 13 mm for the 8mm studs.

Huge is GOOD for oil returns.

One of the top reasons engines blow up is from poor oiling.