Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why am I breaking rockers still??? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I breaking rockers still??? WTF!

I have hade two Scorpion roller rockers fail where the pushrod indexes the cup and blown holes through the body of the rocker with the pushrod. I checked wipe and valvetrain geometry & pushrod length and everything seems fine. I upgraded to YellaTerra UL shaft rockers and figured I was good to go. I drove the car from Minneapolis, MN to Huntsville, AL 2 days ago and experienced a Yella Terra Failure (failed the same way). I put an old pair of Scorpion rockers in to temporarily get me to AL. Now I have a 1000 mile trip home and I'm pretty ******* sure I 'll have another failure somewhere along the way. Here are the facts:

1) The car runs fine for 600-800 miles just fine...then a rocker pops.
2) The effected rocker failures have always been a different one...both exhaust & intake
3) All failures are on the passenger side of the motor
4) After a failed rocker is replaced, engine runs just fine for another 600-800 miles and then it will usually pop another godamned rocker. (see #1)
5) I race my car on rare occasions and I've never had a problem reving the motor to 7000 RPM, dragging & roadracing. These failures only happen when I'm cruising along at 2-2500 RPM like an old blue haired lady! You'd think they would fail when your pounding the **** out of it for Christ's sake!

I'm not exactly sure what the ****'s happening here but it is obviously starting to **** me off a little bit. I need a grab bag full of extra rockers for a road trip in case one pops. That's no way to travel! I have a problem that only happens intermittently and seems to cause the pushrod to jump further than normal resulting in a collision with the backside of the rocker and subsequent damage to the cup & rocker body. The only 2 things I think would cause this would be sticking/failing lifters (but they are new LS7 lifters) and deck heights on either the block or heads that don't match.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you've had the pushrods out to make sure there's no contact with the head (obvious, but hey). I know you said you've checked geometry, but are you 100% sure you've got the lifter preload correct and/or are not experiencing ANY binding on the springs? I'd definitely get the covers off, start rotating the engine by hand and REALLY take a detailed look at what's going on. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search on here but others have had the same issue with Scorpions. It's not uncommon. I think they updated and fixed it but I sure wouldn't race till your prob is staightened out. One guy on here went with HS but I really like YT.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Search on here but others have had the same issue with Scorpions. It's not uncommon. I think they updated and fixed it but I sure wouldn't race till your prob is staightened out. One guy on here went with HS but I really like YT.
He did switch to YT, and they broke too, lol. Yeah, I would definitely check for signs of the pushrods hitting the head, as mentioned before.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your preload excessive? I installed a set of Scorpions in a Silverado over a year ago(over 20K miles) with no problems and no call backs. The owner loves them. The lift using a 1.8 ratio rocker with a cam ground for 1.7 is an effective 575(ballpark). You're doing something wrong.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would help to post your cam specs, what springs, and what pushrod length you're running. And are you using 1.7 or 1.8 ratio rockers?